Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2005, 09:12 PM

Default Re: professional poker

You should start playing at the Taj.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow. Im amazed at what I just read. A 17- year old kid asks a question about the typical win rate of pros here, and gets flamed incessantly for 'wanting to go pro'. Im pretty sure he didnt mention anything close to thoughts of going pro. Unbelievable. You all may be pretty da*ngood poker players, but you need to learn how to read. I am new here, and was excited about the forum, as it seemed there are many knowledgesble posters who could contribute to my poker learning. I definitely respect the poker insights of many of you, but am not quite impressed about your responses here. I understand the problems and dangers inherent these days associated with the booming poker industry contributing to false delusions of poker grandeur as a definite problem for many, and that's good to be concerned for them and let them know the truth. But i didnt see much genuine concern for this kid's welfare here- just a barrage of insults and disdain b/c the kid asked a frickin question.
For the most part this forum seems pretty cool. Despite the $1000 freezeout humor, though, I think you guys dropped the ball on this one. Blarq may have been the only one with anything moderately insightful to say. Good luck outdrwn.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a rule, I steer clear, or tread lightly, on most posts that include "professional" in the title, or features it as the main subject matter. Many times the posts turn nasty. While I think some may have made assumptions in this thread, some of the advice given and comments made were good.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:27 PM

Reading does not equal studying. It equals reading. Studying means taking notes and reviewing hands, etc. Not saying that you don't do that. Often times people read, read, read, and have so much running through their mind they can't apply all the principles correctly, and may end up worse than when they started. My advice is to focus on one or two books. Whichever ones address the game you want to play. I've read SSH once, and almost done with it a second time. After this, I will probably read it again. I doubt I will ever buy another book besides it for a while. If I do, it'll be because I've either moved up in limits or changed games. With you being a NL player, I don't see why you've read SSH twice and not some of the other books that strictly deal with NL.

I'm not a pro, so I can't answer your other questions. But if you really read these forums like you say you do, you should be able to answer those questions for yourself.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:34 PM

The responses you get appear to be from 13 year olds.