Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2005, 11:59 AM

Default Re: I have heard the same thing said

[ QUOTE ]
I have heard many a respected person say fold that cheese up front...I have even heard respected people talk about folding AQ in an early position.

[/ QUOTE ]

they play in tougher games where people won't call with crap. easy raise.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the only way to play it is for a raise. I have heard many a respected person say fold that cheese up front. It sets you up for a 2nd best hand. Kind of like AJo in an early position (which I pretty much fold every time from utg and utg+1). I have even heard respected people talk about folding AQ in an early position.

Point being, you raised a suspect hand and got called by a suspect hand. He had 2 live cards which makes him less than a 2-1 dog. He was getting 3-1 on the call. Easy call in my mind. I was being silly saying if he showed me aces I would call but I probably would if he showed me... I love a challange.... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense, but I cannot take you seriously.

Folding AJo in EP "pretty much every time"? "Respected people" (who?) talking about folding AQo in EP? But J8o is an "easy call" in BB heads up against an early position preflop raiser? And calling with J8o if he showed you AA because you "love a challenge"?

Wow. I'm sorry, but that's just awful dude. All of it.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have heard many a respected person say fold that cheese up front...I have even heard respected people talk about folding AQ in an early position.

[/ QUOTE ]

they play in tougher games where people won't call with crap. easy raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sanity again. Thank you.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:06 PM

Default Re: KQ in EP

[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter
Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, BB calls.
Flop: (4.33 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.
Turn: (3.16 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
River: (5.16 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Final Pot: 7.16 BB
Bad Guy is
72/20/1.5 over 50 hands

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't quite understand this. Are you agreeing with me? Making an argument against my post?

FWIW - I think you played this hand pretty crappily.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:09 PM

Default Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]
Come on. Calling a preflop raise with J8o is plain awful - from the BB or not. This is simply not a playable hand, unless you're in for free.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what i thought....
Old 05-17-2005, 12:16 PM

actually awful was your flop call..... folding would have been a little bit better than awful... it's a raise or fold scenario there...

As I said his J and his 8 were live cards..... it makes him approximately a 2-1 dog to you.... he was getting a little bit better than 3-1 on his call... Combine that with him knowing that you are the kind of player who would raise a number of hands...probably including pairs like 7s and 6s...I am making that call everytime with that hand and busting up the guy who thinks when he caught his q it was good....then when he whines about my call I write down the one word note I love for people like that..... whiner.....

yes utg....utg+1... AJo is in the trash.... now if I'm dicking around online playing 1-2...2-4 or something yeah I may bring it in for a raise but generally AJo is absolute garbage from an ep.... AQ??? 10-20 I'm not liking it early.... but I bring it in for a raise and hope none of the better players at the table call.... or worse raise... obviously I was still joking about the aces.... did you miss the... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-17-2005, 12:27 PM

No, what's awful is your attitude about giving advice. It's close-minded and overly authoritative, especially when not one other poster agrees with your PF assessment of J8.

You can reason odds all you want, J8o is a fold to a PF raise heads up. Everyone knows it except you.

Spout on about your big 10/20 games, but the post was a 2/4 hand, so the replies are in context to 2/4. So when you talk about folding AQ preflop, it sounds less than relevant, if not just plain silly.

Stop trying to educate me, I'll never be as "smart" as you.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
actually awful was your flop call..... folding would have been a little bit better than awful... it's a raise or fold scenario there...

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
From OP: "Read on villan was that he was loose and very awful quite frankly. He was occasionally aggressive preflop - more passive post flop, although would often bluff with nothing on late streets."

[/ QUOTE ]

All of a sudden - calling doesn't seem so bad.

[ QUOTE ]
yes utg....utg+1... AJo is in the trash.... now if I'm dicking around online playing 1-2...2-4 or something yeah I may bring it in for a raise but generally AJo is absolute garbage from an ep.... AQ??? 10-20 I'm not liking it early.... but I bring it in for a raise and hope none of the better players at the table call....

[/ QUOTE ]

(A) Re-read the OP - he was playing 2/4
(B) There aren't too many better players in these SS games. If you're playing at higher limits where this type of advice applies - that's great. But, it's generally not very applicable to the SS games that the OP is writing about in this thread.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:42 PM

Default Re: KQ in EP

[ QUOTE ]
I like the flop call. But I'd just call the turn. You're not going to fold a bigger diamond, and you don't want to fold a worse pair. Then I'd raise that river and call a 3-bet. Given that you got 3-bet on the turn, you have to call the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you (or anyone) expand on the last sentence? Is it purely the 3-bet that makes for the river call, or pot size?
Old 05-17-2005, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're playing at higher limits where this type of advice applies - that's great. But, it's generally not very applicable to the SS games that the OP is writing about in this thread

[/ QUOTE ]

True enough and I wouldn't have even brought it up had the poster not been so upset about the guy calling with the J8o. The same reasoning applies to the J8o. If you're in a blind and you're HU against any raiser and for one more bet you can see the flop...especially if you know that the raiser thinks so highly of his own play... it's an easy call to see the flop