Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2005, 11:09 AM

Default Re: Sunglasses arent bad

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
PS--I was pretty sure the guy sitting next to me was a 2+2er. He kept talking about Pokertracker and such with other players. I played dumb and said I didnt play online because computer poker was fixed. I didnt want to say anything to identify myself. But now that we're away from the table, you should really know that you have very bad dandruff and offensive body odor.

[/ QUOTE ]
well apparently it wasnt me, cause i dont have pokertracker.

[/ QUOTE ]

This really deserves it's own thread.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:11 AM

Default Re: need more smart-ass comments to say to posers with sunglasses

we have a winner.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:37 AM

Yesterday at my B&M I got to play with a guy in sunglasses (6-12 game, by the way) who berated the table's token drunk when he'd beat him, arrogantly flipping his winning hands over (clearly for our benefit, since the drunk was beyond the ability to comprehend).

I bring this up because, like you (original poster), I spent most of my folding time thinking of the appropriate line when I got my chance to break him, and when it finally came I simply and methodically stacked his chips and said nothing.

Because it occured to me that if I am going to retain my sanity while spending my time around drunks and fools with sunglasses, the best long-term strategy is not to get personally involved.

Still, the shades were silly dark. You could see the flop in the reflection.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:39 PM

Why do I care if you wear sunglasses you ask?

Because low limit holdem in California has a very high rake. This applies to games all the way up to $15-30 at Commerce and Bike. Since I do not have the $10-15K bankroll necessary for the wild super aggro $20-40 game yet, and only have a $4K replenishable BR, I am stuck playing only up to $9-18.

With the high rake, it is necessary to create lots of volume. Large amounts of money in play reduce the relative size of the house drop.

Guys in suglasses tend to kill action. Personable, happy people who do not look aggressive tend to encourage action. Even grouchy nits come across as friendlier than someone partially covering their face. Creating volume in these games is far more important than presenting an aggressive image or supposedly hiding tells. That is the one reason I can't stand when guys wear sunglasses. So if you wear sunglasses at my table, expect that I am going to make fun you if it gets the rest of the table going.

I would guess that guys at $3-6 and $4-8 have an even more compelling argument than I do.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:16 PM

Baseball hat tilted slightly to the left hides your eyes completely from the players on your left.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:56 PM

I kind of want to wear sunglasses at the table now, just to piss of all the 2+2 nits who make such a goddamn big deal about this non issue.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:15 PM

During a big hand: In a friendly manner at first)

"Can you see through those glasses?"

"Oh, you can, well how many Aces am I holding up, biatch?"
Old 05-17-2005, 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Dude, I loved you in 'Ray'."

[/ QUOTE ]

gold, jerry, gold!
Old 05-17-2005, 11:02 AM

Last summer Al Capone Jr. and I were playing some Magoo 2-6 poker at the Excalibur. We were in seats 7 and 8 and Mr. "Thinks he's a Pro" was across the table in seat 3. There was some big hand where Al, myself and Mr. Pro were the 3 players at the river. Something like $60 bucks already in the pot, Al bet, I raised, and Mr. Pro starts to stare us down. Then her reaches into his shirt pocket, pulls out the Oaks, puts them on, and continues to stare us down. Al and I look at each other, and without saying a word, pull out our own shades. For the next 1/2 hour, whenever the "Pro" bet, we'd sit there and stare at him for 15-20 seconds in mocking fashion. He finally got the hint and took the Oaks off.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:20 AM

It's not so much just wearing sunglasses that makes the games tighter but it's the whole persona these people try to convey at a low limit table. There's a big difference between people who just wear the glasses, and people who think they are pros. While wearing glasses at the table may be unnecessary, it's when people start staring others down, taking for ever to make decisions, and boasting about their expert play that they start to dry up all the action. Of course these people are usually accompanied by wrap around pitch black shades.

I was in a 3/6 game, one guy makes a bet and the other player in the hand starts staring him down. The kid who bet was confused and asked the guy what he's doing. The guy seriously said "I'm just trying to get a good look at you." Then the dealer chimed in "Sir, this a 3/6 game." The whole table got a good laugh out of that and the guy turned beet red then folded his hand.