Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2005, 10:10 AM

Default Re: Maintaining BR

I'm by no means as educated as some of the people on here, for the first year I played by my gut, not by a book. I don't keep stats on my play, as long as my BR grows, I must be doing something right. But, if people at a table see you limping in, then folding to a raise, a good player will take advantage of that. If your going to complete, or call one bet, why not call another to see the flop? If your folding after putting in one bet, you should have never called, you should have folded. For example, when I play in a no limit tourney, every hand I ask myself, "Am I willing to put all my chips in on this hand?" Preflop, ask yourself if your willing to call 2 or even cold call 3 more bets to see the flop. That may help help. But like I said, I'm not a play by the book guy, I'm a play by the gut guy.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:24 AM

Hmm its a tough call specially at micros.

So many loose players raising poor hands, Then a few tight players raising the big hands.

Chances are calling a 2nd bet on 22might be ok, But if theres on tight player at the table and he called the reraise(And i have no reads - I find this hard, unless playing for few hrs of had played them previously(and have notes).

I've seen people reraise with q3o etc. However if the reraiser is a good player and hold a AK/AQ/AA-QQ(jj) Im already beat and its a waist of a 1SB.

I dont really know what would pay off more, Calling the reraise (due to high pot) or folding due to most likly being beat.

If i hit my set ill rake in alot most likly, ANyone know what would pay off ?

Calling to a reraise or folding?

Right now folding seems best.

Thanks.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
SOme hands that i fold to reraise today have been:

Q9s (Small blind) Called... Reraise (From BB) fold. ? Bad? Missed flop anyhow for straight/Flush/1-2pair.

A2s SB Called, Reraise (From UTG - This is suppose to show strength, In micro it seems to show whose going to get lucky on the flop lol). Folded. (two suited Clubs come up - Would of hit flush)

22 Called at Mp2 Raised by SB, Folded due to 2 people remaining in pot. Bad or good? Didnt hit it anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you understand what people have been telling you. I'll try to explain it better.

PREFLOP--If you call and it is raised after you call, you should never fold if it is only one bet more.
Example: Hero has A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in MP2
UTG calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls, Button <font color="red">raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Notice that it is only one more bet for the Hero to call. If this is the case, you should never fold. If your hand was good enough to call the first time, it's good enough to call one bet more, especially since you pot odds have greatly increased.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:09 AM

So if im SB with JTo and i call, BB raises... I call it?

Axs Middle pos, Call and im reraised by SB i call?

Ok ill put this into action, Will report back.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for all the input guys, My Br is up to $31 currently.

Playing more agressive, sometimes dont even see the flop.

Wont be suprised if i lose it all tommorow, or tonight... But time will tell.

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, you are on the right track. Short-term results don't matter at all.

Make correct decisions and have enough bankroll to cover for variance. You'll do fine.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:40 PM

Hope I don't get chastised for reviving a thread...

A couple of things in your posts bother me. Number one, you said, "Playing more agressive, sometimes dont even see the flop." I hope this is a joke.

You also posted some starting hands, your action and the results. While poker is results oriented, making money, don't get too hung up on results. What I mean to say is, sometimes correct play results in your losing a hand at showdown, sometimes you make the correct play and realize at the end of the hand you would have won. You could lay down 72o in a raised pot only to see three sevens hit the flop. Does this mean your fold was incorrect? If I'm playing correctly, I try and forget my pocket cards, they are DEAD TO ME!!!

Of course, I'm a rank and file newbie fish, so take it with a grain of salt...

JunkHead