Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2005, 04:03 PM

Default Maintaining BR

Hi all,

I've played for a while now but i seem to constant keep the same BR.

I've put in $20 and i got up to $29 yesturday to loose and go back to $20 again.

Can't seem to budge past 20, When i do i soon loose it and am back to square one (or lower).

DOnt have hand historys because the places that do them dont seem to have micro limits? And im not playing loose or tight and scared.

Any advice... I guess no one can really help? Dam fustrating playing for hours to win nor loose...

I'd like to play to win.

Chris.
Old 04-23-2005, 04:15 PM

Default Re: Maintaining BR

If you're a begginer and you're playing break even poker, that's a very good start. maybe 5% of all players are long term winners, and another 5% are break even. the rest slowly (or quickly) lose their money to the skilled players and the rake.

[ QUOTE ]
Any advice... I guess no one can really help? Dam fustrating playing for hours to win nor loose...

[/ QUOTE ]

the first thing to do is get some books and do your homework. Ed Miller's 'getting started in hold 'em' is now genrally considered athe best begginers book, also, lee jone's 'Winning low limit hold 'em' is an economical alternitive.

GL.
Old 04-23-2005, 04:33 PM

Ive read ITH and think i shall reread it this week, see if theres any loopholes in my game.

My main problem is calling hands which i then have to fold on the flop (due to calls, Higher cards in centre or flush suited boards etc). These eat away my money, This added to the loss of some hands soon kills my winnings previous that day.

Chris.
Old 04-23-2005, 04:56 PM

what limit are you playing, how many tables, etc...?
Old 04-23-2005, 05:29 PM

0.05/0.10

Usually single table, BUt sometimes 2tables.

Tried no limit, Won $15 but lost it over past 2 days lol.

Chris.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:23 AM

Ironically I consider myself in a similar situation, where I am breakeven. Last week however I had a very good week after placing ITM in 2 SNG's and up about $12 playing rings. My schedule only allows me to play a couple days a weeks, so I'm hoping to continue this week.

I mostly attribute this to tightening up my game, being more aggressive when I do have good hands, and finishing Winning Low Limit Holdem for the second time. I'm currently reading Ed's new book to gain more knowledge.

I too felt I was playing tight before but there is a difference in playing tight and playing the right cards in the right position.

One other thing...I had the bankroll (and a growing confidence )to move up so I dabbled playing some .25/.50 and some .50/1. Not yet certain if this helped or not, but I really started to notice that playing the micro-micro .02/.04 and .05/.10 most people will call you all the way to the river with junk and get lucky everytime.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
DOnt have hand historys because the places that do them dont seem to have micro limits? And im not playing loose or tight and scared.

Any advice... I guess no one can really help?

[/ QUOTE ] The tone of your posts seems to be one of someone who is frustrated, but unwillingly to acknowledge you may be making some mistakes while you play. Why ask for advice, then say you aren't playing tight/loose/weak? I am guessing you probably have some and maybe even several leaks in your game, especially if you are break even at .05/.10. The players down there are loose as hell. I think Ed's book would be some good help for you, also, I think you should start to play on sites which have hand histories. I think poker stars should have hand histories for micro-micro games. Also, getting the trial version of poker tracker might help as well, as it will show you just how loose/tight you really are.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:28 AM

I am slightly fustrated lol, I seem to do good then bad which means maybe im lucky? And have major leaks in my game. Soon as the luck runs out i drop cash.

Currently i've $15 so im no longer breaking even, I think i will reread ITH tonight(over next week) and see if i can sign up to pokerstars.

Any idea the minimum cash in at pokerstars?

Thanks,
Chris.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ive read ITH and think i shall reread it this week, see if theres any loopholes in my game.

My main problem is calling hands which i then have to fold on the flop (due to calls, Higher cards in centre or flush suited boards etc). These eat away my money, This added to the loss of some hands soon kills my winnings previous that day.

Chris.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean by calling hands which you then have to fold on the flop? Do you mean calling preflop and then folding or calling and folding on the flop after a raise or what?
Old 04-26-2005, 02:31 PM

Yeh calling hands preflop then folding to a raise or folding after the flop (Missing the flop).

I've re read some of ITH and am following the starting hands chart, I seem to be playing looser than i think.

Got my BR back to $20.75 right now, Will reread whole book 1x or 2x and see how this week goes.

Going to try to sign up to pokerstars soon as i want to post hand historys, Feel ill progress faster from posting them.

Thanks,
Chris.