Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2005, 08:23 PM

Default Re: Soft play vs. gambling addicts

I think there are lots of times in life where we spent money to feel a little bit better about ourselves, and I don't think that's a problem as long as you can afford it and realize how much you are spending.

But you should know that when you softplay him you are doing it for your own sake, not for his. He probably won't realize he was softplayed, and even if he did, its not likely to make him feel any better. As for the money, the bet or two you save him isn't going to matter one way or the other.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:49 PM

to expand on this look at it as doing him a service... seriously...

there are four (some say 5) stages of gambling addiction... I'll elaborate if I get requests
1. The Big WIn/ winning stage
2. losing stage/starts becoming aloof and getting loans
3. desperation (more sever form of 2)
4. Hopeless ness/ rock bottom

after these stages comes recovery... i'm pretty sure you haev to go through these stages unless you get torn away from all forms of gambling by force... so the thing is by taking his $$ you're quickening his journy towards recovery... on the other hand thought there is a much higher suicide rate among PGs in the later stages, so you might be quickenign his journy to the grave...

i personally just try to avoid playing with these types... but i play for fun more than for $$
Old 05-09-2005, 12:31 PM

YOu are in the wrong game if you feel bad taking the money.
Try being the ping pong ball picker in bingo instead.
oops maybe you would feel bad doing that too because you realize the return on these poor seinor's $2 card is about $1.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:23 AM

I don't really look at this as a money issue.

When the problem gamblers sit down, even the fish perk up, anticipating the payout. The addicts don't play poker, they are only compelled to leave the table without money.

They are weak and I can't seem to pick on the weak. The same reason that if I'm playing basketball with a retarded kid, I'm not gonna steal the ball from him every time or swat all his shots into the stands.

It's not challenging and not much fun.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:11 AM

Well if you don't soft play against them you are taking money from mentally ill people. If that doesn't trouble you, ethically, why not try to scam schizophernics out of their money? No ethical difference. Some "morals" you professional players have.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:43 AM

I once watched a kid, couldn't have been 19 years old, bet into a guy who just kept raising him on every street, it was obvious to the whole table that the guy had a flush, but this kid just kept pushing and pushing, the look on his face was one of misery when the guy flipped over his hearts. All I could think of was I hoped I got isolated with this kid in a big pot with the nuts.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well if you don't soft play against them you are taking money from mentally ill people. If that doesn't trouble you, ethically, why not try to scam schizophernics out of their money? No ethical difference. Some "morals" you professional players have.

[/ QUOTE ]

No ethical difference, eh? Should I also not take money from the drunkards who play, since one of them may have the mental illness of alcoholism?

I've read your other posts. Coming onto a poker site and bashing the players with your petty arguments is quite pathetic.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:50 AM

Everyone plays poker for differant reasons, some play strictly to win, some to socialize, some to experience the thrill of gambling and some actually enjoy the pain inflicted on them from losing. If you feel guilty taking a suckers money than by all means lighten up if it makes you feel better. I personally do not believe you are helping the guy one bit though. There are plenty of other ways to help the less fortunate in life than by not check raising in a poker game.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:27 AM

I play everyone as hard as possilbe. Even if the person told me their buyin was theie last money in the world, I'd still checkraise them at every opportunity. Remember, by sitting in the game...THEY ARE TRYING TO TAKE YOUR MONEY. Let them get help on their own time, but don't expect mercy at the table.

Jeff
Old 05-10-2005, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Coming onto a poker site and bashing the players with your petty arguments is quite pathetic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trying to make a living through non-productive work and by preying on people with mental illnesses is beyond pathetic and subhuman.