Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Psychology (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Soft play vs. gambling addicts (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=247441)

jordanx 05-07-2005 08:14 AM

Soft play vs. gambling addicts

You ever play against people with obvious gambling problems? Like, you can just see the hurt in their eyes as they toss away their rent money.

It sucks.

Now I'm not just talking about the run of the mill calling station who goes through a few racks or the lag retiree who spends 20 hours a day in the cardroom. I'm talking Joe Mechanic who's nails are dirty from hard work and just dropped 300$ at the Spanish 21 table, puts chips out like he's giving his children away.

I have to admit I don't check raise/value bet these poor schlubs even if it costs me money and they'll lose it to some dumb LAG anyways.

I just don't have the heart.

Aytumious 05-07-2005 09:13 AM

Re: Soft play vs. gambling addicts

[ QUOTE ]
You ever play against people with obvious gambling problems? Like, you can just see the hurt in their eyes as they toss away their rent money.

It sucks.

Now I'm not just talking about the run of the mill calling station who goes through a few racks or the lag retiree who spends 20 hours a day in the cardroom. I'm talking Joe Mechanic who's nails are dirty from hard work and just dropped 300$ at the Spanish 21 table, puts chips out like he's giving his children away.

I have to admit I don't check raise/value bet these poor schlubs even if it costs me money and they'll lose it to some dumb LAG anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no place for pity in poker or life.

kiddj 05-07-2005 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

It sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

It kills me to take their money. You can see that they don't know what they're doing. The more they lose, the more weak/loose they play. They catch their runner runner two-gapped gutshot on the river and STILL don't really seem happy about it. It makes me sad. It kills me to buy expensive beer at the table with the money i just won from them. But, I do it anyway. I say prayers for them to gods i don't believe exist.

Kurn, son of Mogh 05-07-2005 11:50 AM

I take their money without a second thought.

Autocratic 05-07-2005 03:27 PM

I don't soft play anyone, but I won't sit down with someone like this. I don't look at my life as a 24/7 search for +EV situations. I work, go to school, and have only two or three hobbies I really work at, one of which is poker. If you're a professional and need the money, I can easily see sitting down with someone like this and playing. But I'm just a kid who likes to play, and I don't feel like feeding social problems as I do.

miajag81 05-07-2005 05:13 PM

Am I going to hell because I enjoy taking these people's money even more than that of other people?

Scotch78 05-07-2005 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I going to hell because I enjoy taking these people's money even more than that of other people?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but don't worry too much. I plan on getting there first and walking in with a C-4 vest.

Scott

Wally Weeks 05-07-2005 05:30 PM

I feel like a sociopath, but I have a hard time not trying to get someone's money playing poker. I'm by no means a good player (actually I think I'm a crappy player), so they have the right to outplay me and win my money or simply get lucky and vice versa.

My personality is such that I do things to benefit myself first and foremost, unless you are in my circle of family and friends, of course. I've always believed that people should do the same. Believe it or not, I'm a nice and social kind of guy. I try to be fair to people and screw people them over unnecessarily. After all, poker is just a game.

I'd rather win more and larger pots, but maybe that's just me... Perhaps I'm not such a nice guy after all. Hey, if I win, cool...and if these "schlubs" win, then that's cool, too.

Wally

PairTheBoard 05-07-2005 06:09 PM

There are times when Poker is an Ugly Game.

PairTheBoard

BigBaitsim (milo) 05-07-2005 07:32 PM

As I've said before, my job at the poker table is to take others' money, within the bounds of the rules and etiquette of the game. A person who voluntarily sits at the table is fair game. I will do what I can to keep that person at the table until his/her money is gone. Should that same gambling addict come to my office, I would do everything I could to help him/her stay away from the tables. Both actions are ethical in their respective contexts.