Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2005, 03:53 PM

Default Re: I was called a fish...did I play like one?

With the exception of playing 64s I think you played this okay. I think you have to raise the flop with straight and flush draws. I understand the turn raise and call from a psychological stand point ("I have a flush, I'll raise. Ooops, reraised -- he must have a bigger flush."), and the river call from the same point of view (you can't fold a flush with 11BB pot, but you're pretty sure you're beat so raising doesn't help your cause).

The only time I'd play 64 would be to try to change my table image- but at .05/.10 that's a waste of time because in half an hour you are going to have a whole new table anyway.

Of course, this is coming from another .05/.10 player, and I know I look fishy too sometimes when I'm being aggressive. It's hard to get over the feeling that you're being fishy when you know you're going to get called down almost all the time. At a nano-limit table no one is going to say that you are "aggressive" or that you were on a "semi-bluff"; they are going to call you "fishy."
Old 04-30-2005, 04:35 PM

Being thought of as a fish can have advantages. You will get more action. You won't be able to bluff people off their hands as easily though. You can play a little differently depending on how you are percieved at the table. Whatever way that is, take advantage of it appropriately.
Old 04-30-2005, 04:46 PM

I've never played peace john nickle/dime before, but this looks like a call on the flop rather then a raise. The only way you could really advocate a raise is if people will never fold no matter how many bets it is to them. If they play reasonable, then I would opt to just call here. Turn and river seem to be fine.

Brad
Old 04-30-2005, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I dislike the flop raise, even though it probably saved you the pot. I want lots of people in

[/ QUOTE ]
If hero had the nut flush, or maybe the 2nd nut, I'd agree with you. Then if I knew the table tended not to like to call two, I would not have raised as there is no one trapped for one bet yet.

But with only 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] high, I think knocking one [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] holders out is paramount. For that reason, I think the flop raise is very important here, and it's a big advantage to be able to make the field face two.

[/ QUOTE ]

With something like a king-high flush, you still want to win if you pair your king but miss your flush, so I would raise this too to get an ace to fold.
Old 04-30-2005, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've never played peace john nickle/dime before, but this looks like a call on the flop rather then a raise. The only way you could really advocate a raise is if people will never fold no matter how many bets it is to them. If they play reasonable, then I would opt to just call here. Turn and river seem to be fine.

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

So, you're saying that protecting your hand by folding a higher single heart in case it comes runner-runner heart is not really an issue? Would you raise if you had the jack or queen of hearts instead of the 6?
Old 04-30-2005, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Being thought of as a fish can have advantages. You will get more action. You won't be able to bluff people off their hands as easily though. You can play a little differently depending on how you are percieved at the table. Whatever way that is, take advantage of it appropriately.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen to that.

I'm still new but playing at the .02/.04 and .05/.10 I've noticed that the characteristics of the table change very quickly as players dropping in an out is constant. Which also makes your table image less important because those 5 new players in the last 30 hands haven't seen you much.

Do the tables become more "stable" as you move up in limits?
Old 04-30-2005, 07:25 PM

<obligated to say> PF was loose, given position.

99% of what any table coach says is retarded. This example doesn't fall in the 1% that isn't retarded. You did fine post flop.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:29 PM

I hate the preflop call in MP, rest is okay.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:34 PM

but its only a nickel.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but its only a nickel.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure whether you're serious or not, but that doesn't matter a damn thing.