Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2005, 09:00 AM

Default Re: This laydown sucks, right?

When you're holding a strong hand like good 2-pair or a set and every draw comes in on the river in a multiway pot when you've been the aggressor the whole way I think you have two options:

(a) Bet and call 1 raise (I think it's a safe fold if CO would've 3-bet)
(b) Check and call (or overcall) 1 Bet (I think it's a safe fold if BB bets and CO raises)

If you can't call a raise on the river with this hand then don't bet it. Personally, against those two player types I would've check/called. I think that BB will take a shot with a weaker hand many times but, will usually raise with a better hand. CO will usually call 1 with a weaker hand but maybe not 2. It's a scary river for you and I don't think there's a huge difference even if you miss a bet every once-in-awhile when it gets checked through.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you can't call a raise on the river with this hand then don't bet it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't agree more!
Old 04-28-2005, 10:21 AM

I think you see 2 pair more than 1/16 here.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:36 AM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

if you are willing to bet into possible flush and straight draws on the river you need to be willing to complete the hand, otherwise check/call. yes the laydown sucks. whether you actually would have won or not, the pot warranted a river check/call anyway.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:38 AM

I don't think its terrible. BB really looks to be on the flush draw. That said, I know I don't fold here, but I might suck.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:33 AM

As far as the fold, it sucks, your line has to be bet/call and when they have the frush god bless them.

The place for improvement as I see it, is not 3 betting the flop. After the cold caller you're going to be able to generate some tremendous value from cring any non heart on the turn. I think your 3 bet on the flop is going to win you less than going for the cr on the turn in this spot. Cring does not change the fact that the river is bet/call.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:34 AM

Definition - terrible: this river play.

before he bets he has two options:

"I only want to pay one bet" Apparently this is the one he wanted... so why the hell wouldn't you check-call and guarantee yourself a showdown?

"I don't mind paying two bets because I think MHIG" So you value bet and call a raise.

He ended up paying the same amount of money to fold that he could have paid to see the showdown... ack

(not trying to be harsh, I've made 2 or 3 worse mistakes than this today [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

by the way... what flush draw/56 does BB check preflop and raise the flop? most of the hands you wouldn't raise preflop you would try and keep people in for when your draw hit, no?
Old 04-28-2005, 02:27 PM

I would be more concerned about CO. He was obviously on some kind of draw. And BB likely has something like 87. Anyway, the river completes too many draws, I check call here.