Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you think you are of above average length?
Yes 74 45.96%
No 87 54.04%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2005, 06:55 AM

Default Re: Who caps this preflop?

By this point you're obviously not going to get it heads up so you want as many customers as possible if you hit, and to maximize your odds.

hero has the best hand here the majority of the time (probably 80%+) so he doesnt need to 'hit' anything. the only reason i would say just call is to hit the field with a raise on the flop, but this pot will be big enough where that wont offer us much of an advantage.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:51 PM

It probably doesn't matter either way? Capping gives you the advantage of MAYBE getting everyone to check to you on the flop and you can check to give yourself a slim chance to spike a 9 (if broadway cards flop). Calling gives you the chance to raise the three bettor and maybe clear the field (with a ragged flop). Good question..........
Old 04-27-2005, 01:01 PM

Cap it to save time. You can't close the action anyway. Capping and calling will probably may result in a reraise behind you anyway.

Capping may knock others out. I like capping to take control and the slim chance to knock out somebody.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:15 PM

He probably has the best hand but he also has some serious reverse implied odds.

It seems the only way you'll win this hand is to hit your set. I voted call - see the flop cheaply.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i think it's fairly unlikely that you lose customers with a cap. the pot is just too big.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can easily see BB folding if he has to put in 2 more bets with that garbage he's holding (after initially calling a single SB).

By this point you're obviously not going to get it heads up so you want as many customers as possible if you hit, and to maximize your odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

You absolutely want someone folding. Your hand has some chance of winning unimproved in this huge pot, and everyone that folds increases that chance. The benefits of someone folding far outweigh the loss of "customers" when you flop a monster.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let's assume that you are only up against an overpair 15% of the time

[/ QUOTE ]
It's hard for me to answer because I cannot comprehend this assumption. When someone limps late-ish behind this many limpers and then three-bets after it gets raised to his immediate left and everyone calls and he is closing the action, he virtually never has a big pair. This play is "hey, let's have some fun and build a pot". This may be my primarily b&m experience showing through because when there is a social atmosphere it is more likley that people build pots just for the heck of it, but I still would bet money that you are not shown a pair bigger than yours 10% of the time or more. I would do so because I believe the true frequency is comfortably under 10%.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:43 PM

I think making the pot that big that early with that hand pretty much eliminates any post flop skill edge you might have, so cap if it will make limp-callers fold, and don't if it won't. Against this many people any overcard seems likely to make your hand shrivel. I'd take the cheap way out to try and catch a set or favorable flop and then have some chance of protecting it with a flop raise. 6 ways for 4 bets each makes it unlikely anyone catching any semi reasonable pair folds the flop, especially if these are bad players. I don't see the benefit to raising your razor thin edge here if it neutralizes post flop play.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
see the flop cheaply.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, thought that was amusing.

I can't see how it matters either way all that much. I think he should cap because he's in last position, which means they will check to him more often and he'll get to see the turn more often. This is valuable on hopeless flops where he'd fold if he got bet into.

EDIT: I just saw that he's only up against an overpair 15% of the time, which would make me even more likely to cap it.

Old 04-27-2005, 09:30 PM

Call. You're rarely going to showdown without improving, so help your implied odds by putting less money in preflop.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:14 PM

shouldnt this topic get more discussion considering that the votes are split very evenly?