Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you think you are of above average length?
Yes 74 45.96%
No 87 54.04%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2005, 01:59 AM

Default Who caps this preflop?

-started from this thread-

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9, 9.
UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, 1 folds, MP3 calls, Hero raises, 2 folds, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP3 3-bets, Hero?

(5 players + Hero total)

Let's assume that you are only up against an overpair 15% of the time, and that you are playing in a game where the average VPIP is 32%.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:10 AM

Default Re: Who caps this preflop?

Honestly, I don't think it matters much. I said cap just cause it can't hurt, it might help you win, and it'll disguise your hand.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:29 AM

If you cap it here there's always the possibility you may lose a customer for 2 more SB bets, so I avoid doing this
Old 04-27-2005, 04:52 AM

I think capping it is intending to lose customers. Capping it would definitley increase you chances of winning the hand if you think it will get you head up. I guess it depends on how you want to play it. If you think everyone will call and you are just hoping to spike a set (well i guess your always hoping to spike a set, but you know what i mean) then i would just call.
If you think it will get you head up i would cap. The 3 bettor was limping after a couple of calls then 3 bet, so the typical limp reraise with AA is most likely out. I would say he either has a pocket pair or a mid range suited connector. If he has a PP it very well could be 88 or 77 and he is hoping to get you to reraise with Ak and get head up with you.
If not he is getting tricky with the worst hand that he figures to have the second best chance of winning with. I have this play in my arsenal. limp reraise with 67 suited or something simialar and then the Original raiser is forced to define his hand by callng or capping. This play is good if he thinks that everyone will call 2 cold. if you cap he knows that he will have to catch at least 2 pair to win and if he hits it will be good for a check raise. You figure your cards are live and everyone else is sharing high cards so you actually end up with the second best chance of winning preflop. Plus it makes you seem like an idiot if you actually show down a winner even though there is sound logic behind it. With enough players in the pot (withstanding you are not sharing cards with anyone else) this play is actually + EV.
So to anwser your question, it depends on whether the other players would fold or not. Either way i think you got the best hand at this point.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you cap it here there's always the possibility you may lose a customer for 2 more SB bets, so I avoid doing this

[/ QUOTE ]

i think it's fairly unlikely that you lose customers with a cap. the pot is just too big.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:47 AM

you want to lose players by capping even though its unlikely.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:50 AM

No-one is folding for the cap having put two in already, youre just inflating the pot with a cap. I would call to keep it small and increase my chances of raising people out on the flop.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:54 AM

same hand, different point: 99 UTG in an 8-handed Party 15/30 game with 2 or 3 wild men - you limp - folded to wildman on button who 2bets - BB (not wild, tight-ish stats) 3bets. Fold, call or cap? And how eccentric is the initial limp?
Old 04-27-2005, 06:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think it's fairly unlikely that you lose customers with a cap. the pot is just too big.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can easily see BB folding if he has to put in 2 more bets with that garbage he's holding (after initially calling a single SB).

By this point you're obviously not going to get it heads up so you want as many customers as possible if you hit, and to maximize your odds.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:51 AM

you might as well cap for value. if you dont cap the pot is going to be big enough on the flop that protecting your hand even with a double bet is very hard. so get your money in when you have best of it.