Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2005, 11:56 AM

Default Re: Winning Player

[ QUOTE ]
When 6 players at a table he plays 40.99% vpip and pfr 40.86%

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I the only one dying to know what hand(s) he isnīt raising preflop? How many hands does 0.13% constitute?
Old 04-24-2005, 11:58 AM

I could post hands, but its hard to pick out exactly what fits with his style, he mixes up his game alot, and sometimes plays the most absurd hands once in a while, e.g 32s UTG, or 64o, but played rarely
Old 04-24-2005, 12:01 PM

what are his aggression stats?
Old 04-24-2005, 12:02 PM

I think this is a misleading example for an interesting and often underestimated argument. VP$IPs of 20-25% are typically touted around here as optimal for the 6max games, with fairly little open dissent, but I know that many others win and play much looser. I personally play a 30/20/3 game. While I don't have great data (20k hands across .5/1 to 5/10), I've had significant success.

A while back there was a very interesting post for full-ring games that used bisonbison's PT autorate rules to compare different styles of play with long-term profitability over many hands. Obviously this was a very informal analysis, but the data suggested that preflop, barring absurdly tight play, was not a significant indicator of success. Postflop aggression was. The sLP-A and LP-A players fared at least as well and often better than TA-A players.

I believe this was in .5/1 or 1/2 full ring (I'll search later for this post), which is obviously a factor, but I just want to point out that loose play is vastly underestimated around here. Excel's example is a terrible starting point, but the topic of loose/aggressive shorthanded play is certainly complex and interesting.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:05 PM

If I "cant bluff this player" then it should be easy to value bet him to death since he will often be making second best hands with his weak holdings. Can't have it both ways.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

A while back there was a very interesting post for full-ring games that used bisonbison's PT autorate rules to compare different styles of play with long-term profitability over many hands. Obviously this was a very informal analysis, but the data suggested that preflop, barring absurdly tight play, was not a significant indicator of success. Postflop aggression was. The sLP-A and LP-A players fared at least as well and often better than TA-A players.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're talking about rharless' The EV of different playing styles and The EV of different playing styles part 2 (who says the search function sucks?) then that's not what they showed at all.

EDIT: Hopefully fixed links
Old 04-24-2005, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're talking about rharless' The EV of different playing styles and The EV of different playing styles part 2 (who says the search function sucks?) then that's not what they showed at all.

EDIT: Hopefully fixed links

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not it, but it's very interesting. Thanks for links.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:29 PM

absolutely-
but only if players are making the correct adjustments to him. To many times your averagae, or even strong players try ot "outlag" the lag. Mentally adjusting to this type of player (especially when others are in the pot aswell) can be tough.
I would like to see his standard deviation and have a math guy kick around the likelyhood of this player running good over 80K hands to his winrate. Just for curiositys sake.

BTW- Thanks Excel, this is what a lot of us want, open discussion about styles, with some numbers to back them up.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:58 PM

Default Screenshot of agression factors, + Standard Deviation

Screenshot

Standard Deviation 100/hands $699.85 23.32 big bets
Old 04-24-2005, 01:04 PM

Default Selecting 1 player

I selected this player because he was a winner from the start, secondly he plays alot so I could get a good hand sample.

Also note, not many players play this style, its not just the vpip, its played with the most aggression Ive ever seen pre flop over large sample.