Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: and you quickly move your mouse to the
BI for 2 with the intent of reraising 23 71.88%
Bet the full 5 9 28.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-23-2005, 11:01 AM

Default Re: Should you tip a dealer if you win a jackpot?

I agree dealers shouldn't really be tipped more than a few dollars for a BB JP, but, lol, Demana, if you want to make a scientific poll here, you can't bias the question with your opinion..
Old 04-23-2005, 06:33 PM

I won a large-ish BB jackpot a few months back, and after collecting the money returned to the table to tip the dealer $260. To my amazement he didn't say thank you, or even make eye contact. He simply took the chips and started the next hand.

I'm not trying to make a statement about dealers or tipping in general, but it is odd to see such a lack of courtesy from any service professional.
Old 04-23-2005, 07:16 PM

At a few places I've played the dealer gets one of the smaller shares. If that was the case then I wouldn't.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:34 AM

At some cardrooms, the dealer gets table share.

At my cardroom, Canterbury Park, we have the largest bad beat in the country. Generally, and floor tells people this when they hit one, it's customary to tip the dealer 5% of your take.

Ergo, once I saw a table hit the $100,000 Weekday Evening BB and the losing hand, who get's $50,000, gave the dealer $3,000.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:31 AM

I think your second poll is based on a faulty premise and has no good answer. The concept of "should" or "shouldn't" having to do something in many cases, like this one, is a self imposed premise unfounded on any meaningful basis. Whether or not you tip, like most things in your life, is a choice. You "could" do it, or you could chose not to do it.

Why cause yourself stress by taking that choice away from yourself? It is so much more pleasant to go through life feeling the freedom of making choices, rather than making oneself a slave to some self-perceived obligation.