Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2003, 12:48 PM

Default Re: Fold QQ on a ragged flop?

I agree that of you did the capping then things might have been diffrent. If the MP was any good and had made any hands that had a chance of winning he would raise the flop to try to fold you out. But if you did the capping preflop then maybe the MP TT or JJ are not worth raising on the flop?

I have seen loose players cap with less hands then 99, such as A8s and even 55. The UTG player may have anything from AK all the way to AJs you are favored to beat anyhand that isn't a pair so folding preflop is nutts. I would take QQ into a capped pre-flop every time I could, over and over. But on the flop things are diffrent. The Mid player could raise because this raise has a good chance of winning the pot. If UTG has AKs and gets raised on the flop he will have to fold, and putting a double bet on you also could make you fold. So he may have anything as little as A 10 to raise on the flop. However if you capped preflop he might not make that play.

Sorry about my choppy nature, I type as it comes to me. So what have we learned? If you plan on calling a cap, and know a cap is coming, then do the capping yourself, better you them someone else.
Old 03-07-2003, 02:26 PM

Well.. obviously the answer is "player-dependent"... it depends on what hands the original raiser will cap with... and it depends on how the 3-bettor will play.

I guess what I don't understand is how you can be so sure that he would only raise the flop with AA or KK. I suppose your preflop play makes sense mathematically if you put the capper on a wide range of hands... and your postflop play makes sense if you put MP on exactly AA or KK after his flop raise. My point was basically... if there were preflop action like that in my game... then I would damn well expect it to be bet and raised back to me basically no matter the flop and no matter the hands.
Old 03-07-2003, 02:31 PM

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'd give strong consideration to folding preflop. I've never folded QQ preflop in my life, but if I was ever going to do it, this might be the time. You know that UTG is going to cap, which means you are essentially calling three bets cold, getting 3:1 on the call (nine bets in the pot, with you having to call three more).

If you are going to play the hand, why not cap it yourself and lead out on the flop reagrdless of what comes (unless it comes AKx or something like that)?

Your fold on the flop is fine given the way you played the hand to that point, but I disagree with the way you played it to that point.

-- Homer
Old 03-07-2003, 02:33 PM

You bet out on the flop here so you don't have to worry about it coming back to you two-cold. Probably.
Old 03-07-2003, 03:59 PM

Why call pre-flop if you're gonna check-fold on the flop with that board? You weren't getting odds to flop a set so if you weren't gonna take control of the hand, why play at all. I'd have capped pre-flop and fired regardless of flop (unless it was something like AKx with some suit coordination...then i might check fold depending on action). Anyway, a mistake was made somewhere here... if you didn't like the hand enough to play this flop, a fold pre-flop was in order... if you did, leading at the flop was probably best.
Old 03-08-2003, 01:16 PM

Default RESULTS

Well, after some betting and raising the other two got to a showdown. UTG showed JJ and MP showed AA.

Thanks for the responses. I still haven't decided what my best play would have been. I think it I could do it over again I'd fold preflop.