[ QUOTE ]
Don't get so hung-up on preflop in NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wise wise words.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Shhh. Don't tell.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:17 PM

Default Re: NL Still Tight??

Calling pre-flop with 8-2 offsuit isn't LAG, it's stupid. There are players who will call with just about any two looking to bust you, but more often than not you will bust them; stacks online are never big enough to justify this kind of play.

If you play against the type of player who calls with any two and then plays very aggressive on the turn and river, he is not that difficult to beat: just let him bet your hand for you. Sometimes he will have a better hand, so your variance goes way up against this type of player, but most of the time you will be winning.

In full-ring, TAG is the best way to play online. In short-handed, I find LAG to be much better, though my variance has skyrocketed. Playing LAG means trying to buy the button whenever possible, raising weak bets post-flop, etc. In short-handed your sets are much less likely to be paid off, so one has to be more aggressive with more marginal hands.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:14 PM

I find that this differs between the sites. While on PacificPoker I will play K9o and such, on Pokerstars, I might even throw away AJo and play tight after the flop.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:10 AM

Great question. Can't wait for Harrington on Hold'em Volume II. I think Supersystem's basic philosophy is a good one.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:01 PM

Your "looseness" in no-limit play should be a function of: (a) your ability to make correct post-flop decisions and (b) how well you can read your opponents. The better you get at these two actions, the more loose you can play.

Correct post-flop decisions includes knowing when to be aggressive and when to check-fold and bail out of a hand. I think the downfall of may loose-aggressive players is that they start to believe that post-flop aggression is mandatory, and they have a lot of trouble (or the nearly complete inability) to get away from a hand. It just goes against your whole LAG aura to fold a hand, right?

The ability to read your opponents is much easier at live play, and more difficult on-line. For this reason, I think loose-aggressive play is generally more successful in live play, and successful on-line in more limited circumstances.

The natural tendency in a player's progression in no-limit is to graduate from tight-aggressive to loose-aggressive, but be careful of that little LAG-voice inside your head that starts saying "I've seen this a million times and I can crush these goons," because overly-loose play can take a big bite out of your bankroll if you get careless.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:41 AM

I agree with this. When I play with my friends, because of me watching and reading everything in sight, playing sooo much, and posting here, combined with playing with them alot, I loosen up a ton because my reads on them are normally spot on and I know I have better preflop skills. But when I play with people I don't know as well, I play tighter until I know the table and then switch it up. That's just me though. Also, you shouldn't stick to one style, but this has all been said before.