FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Best EV?
PAARTYYYY!!! 34 59.65%
Asolute 3 5.26%
Not winning at 3/6, but want to see the results 20 35.09%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-15-2005, 12:19 AM

Default NL Still Tight??

For limit play, obviously it is vital to have tight preflop standards with aggressive play... tight aggressive. But for No Limit, I have been getting beat far too often by loose players that are still aggressive... loose aggressive.

Thus bringing me to my question: if I want to play NL hold'em, should I switch to playing loose aggressive?? I'm sick of watching some punk call PF raises with 82o and catch some 8 or trip 3's. Or calling with mid-range cards and betting heavily at the flop that I know I missed and shouldn't even bet at. I've posted some on this because the phenomenon is crazy...

And thus my poll:
Old 04-15-2005, 12:52 AM

Default Re: NL Still Tight??

If u stick to ur game plan then u will always come out on top in the long run. People who play trash hands may make money in the short run but will not make a profit in the long run. Stick to THIGHT AGGRESSIVE play.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:58 AM

On Interpoker tonight at the $1 NL tables I managed to take $317 from loose aggressive players by playing tight aggressive.

If someone wants to call my pot size raise with Q8 &/or 82 off more power to them, my AA, KK, QQ, AK, and/or AQ will win a lot more than it loses.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:17 AM

I feel you can loosen up more though in a NL game than you can in a limit game. I like to play more drawing hands when Im up against loose aggressive opponents.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:20 AM

Tight agressive play is the way to go. You may get frustrated when someone flops a boat with 8/2 off after calling your first position raise, but you need to remember that, in the long run, tight aggressive play will prevail. Hold 'em Poker for Advanced Players and The Theory of Poker have some very insightful writings on this topic.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:30 AM

Tight aggressive is the correct way to play almost any poker game, but being tight in a limit game and being tight in a NL game are very different things. I probably play the same amount of hands between the two games, but my preflop raise is much higher in NL. That's because it is much easier to protect your hand, or it is much easier to fire at the pot and take it down right there.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:02 AM

If it gets short-handed I think a loose-aggressive styel will pay off more.

There's a difference between loose-aggressive and reckless players which you describe. Someone who raises will numerous hands preflop can really get paid off if it hits. Someone with a maniac style that can dump a hand early when he's beat will get the biggest profit off of those games. I would reccomend playing TAG first to learn postflop strategy. Someone that attempts a LAG style usually ends up like all the maniacs that you see at the tables.

Table selection would also be important because a good TAG can break this strategy.

I may be way off on this but this is what I've found to be true.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:06 AM

It depends on how deep the money is.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:12 AM

if its like 50x BB or so, the game is basically a preflop endeavour, and the players who are calling raises with trash hands can get destroyed.

As the stacks get deeper, the most important thing is to see cheap flops and break weak players who overplay their top pair hands or their overpairs.

If you think that your postflop game needs improvement, and you hate playing guessing games when your overpair is facing a good sized raise, try to buy in for less. This way, your opponent's implied odds are less post flop, which means your reverse implied odds are lower. For example, if you are able to get twenty percent of your money in heads up with AA preflop, or 36 percent of your money in a 3 player pot, you've already won the hand.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:47 AM

Default Not always but yes but also no...

I think you have to loosen up your drawing hands (67s) and tighten up your "high card" hands (JKo)