Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2005, 11:15 AM

Default Re: Small blind, short stack, ITM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you willing to become the short stack with a hand like KT or QJ, which isn't a "really bad hand"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Three handed and one fold, I take my chances with KT or QJ, yeah.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:31 AM

Your right in that something like KT or QJ is not a "really bad hand". Actually, 3 handed it's quite good. Already ITM, and the CL with almost 5600 in chips, you bet I'm gonna try and increase my stack with a hand like that, esp if I CAN'T go bust if I lost. I agree that the hand doesn't matter as much anymore, but personally, I'd rather have a hand that can at least somewhat "compete" if my steal attempt is called. According to the chart 93o has an expectation of only 40% against a random hand. There are only 25 out of 169 distinct hands that are worse off then that. With 2 more hands to come odds are 1 will be better (have a better expectation) than 93o - JMHO of course

A8
Old 04-15-2005, 11:41 AM

You can search for other posts in this forum about pushing from the small blind. To summarize, if the BB is a reasonable player or even a little loose, your EV is positive if you push. The big reason is that your fold equity is still high at 4 times the BB.

Plus at 800 you are going to need to get lucky anyways. You might as well make a stand now while you're in position to steal.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your right in that something like KT or QJ is not a "really bad hand". Actually, 3 handed it's quite good. Already ITM, and the CL with almost 5600 in chips, you bet I'm gonna try and increase my stack with a hand like that, esp if I CAN'T go bust if I lost. I agree that the hand doesn't matter as much anymore, but personally, I'd rather have a hand that can at least somewhat "compete" if my steal attempt is called. According to the chart 93o has an expectation of only 40% against a random hand. There are only 25 out of 169 distinct hands that are worse off then that. With 2 more hands to come odds are 1 will be better (have a better expectation) than 93o - JMHO of course

A8

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, your points are taken. If I were in that situation, I might even have auto-fold checked, but here's something else to think about.

Villian only has 2x the hero's stack, that makes him less likely to call unless he's uber loose. Plus, it's not like hero is completing from SB and Villian can push with folding equity.

If Hero folds here, and then steals on the next 2 hands, he'll just be right back to where he was before.

One other consideration is that hero's cards are probably MORE likely to be live if called.
Old 04-15-2005, 04:21 PM

Villain was quite loose, I should have included that. So loose that he actually called me in this hand with K3o, which I knew he would do. Does that change anyone's answer?
Old 04-15-2005, 04:23 PM

Wow... I'd venture to guess that Vee Quiva's avatar won't be lasting long, but I'll enjoy it while it's here.
Old 04-15-2005, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain was quite loose, I should have included that. So loose that he actually called me in this hand with K3o, which I knew he would do. Does that change anyone's answer?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. If BB is uberloose, then FE is little to none, and changes the answer.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Changes it to a fold? Why?
Old 04-15-2005, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Changes it to a fold? Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the reasons pushing here was recommended is because of the Gap Concept. Villain normally will be playing tighter (even if we're already in the money) and we can take advantage of it by forcing him to a decision pre-flop, that is he can't see a flop for free.

If villain is uber loose though, then 93 is really not the hand you want to take a stand with. One of the ways to win the hand, i.e. villain folding, is totally gone. It's almost the same concept as hopelessly bluffing a calling station.

If you have ZERO folding equity here, you HAVE to win a hand, and like others pointed out, 93 isn't the hand to do it.

That's my opinion anyways.