Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2005, 01:24 PM

Default Re: A couple of \"newb\" questions. All replies appreciated.

[ QUOTE ]
So, does that mean that you have an overall individual betting unit (i.e. - max wager you are willing to make on any given bet)? Or, does it mean that a unit is actually whatever amount you make on any given bet? By that I mean, let's say I make a $50 bet on game #1 and a $100 bet (the max that I would be willing to bet on any given game) on game #2. Does that mean that I have 2 different units? Or does that mean that I have a 1 unit bet on game #2 and a 1/2 unit bet on game #1?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are differing views on this, some of which are debated heatedly on other forums. Basically the main point is that you just need to be consistent. Probably the most widely accepted view is to say that your standard unit is the amount that you expect to win on the bet, not how much you risk. Again though, this is sometimes the subject of considerable dispute.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:38 PM

Ok, I must be dense regarding the "X cent line". I think I get it but then again I don't think I really get it. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 04-14-2005, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So, does that mean that you have an overall individual betting unit (i.e. - max wager you are willing to make on any given bet)? Or, does it mean that a unit is actually whatever amount you make on any given bet? By that I mean, let's say I make a $50 bet on game #1 and a $100 bet (the max that I would be willing to bet on any given game) on game #2. Does that mean that I have 2 different units? Or does that mean that I have a 1 unit bet on game #2 and a 1/2 unit bet on game #1?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are differing views on this, some of which are debated heatedly on other forums. Basically the main point is that you just need to be consistent. Probably the most widely accepted view is to say that your standard unit is the amount that you expect to win on the bet, not how much you risk. Again though, this is sometimes the subject of considerable dispute.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am finding that out the more I read online. This is some very interesting stuff though.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:47 PM

The "cents" in the line just refers to the spread between the favorite price and the underdog price. 8 cents = 8 point spread, and so on.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:52 PM

Alright, now I got it! Thanks again, tech!