Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2005, 02:19 PM

Default Re: Commerce Hand

I don't like the flop 3-bet...you are out of position and playing into a perceived strength of his (being looser than you). Simply calling down allows him to make the mistake of betting your hand when you're ahead, and saves you from making the mistake of raising and getting 4-bet when you're behind. You can't be too concerned about charging the flush draw because:

- it's not a likely "prior"
- you will not stop him from seeing the river.
- he is likely to charge himself by betting the turn.
- people with flush draws and position enjoy causing problems for people they see as "too tight".

Edited to add - by calling the flop raise, you also give yourself the option of checkraising the turn, if you get a strong read that he has 99-TT. If he thinks you're too tight, he could lay those down.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:03 PM

I suppose it's not impossible he just cold-called pre-flop with A-K or even A-A. And that's why he kept firing on the turn and river.

But I can see why you say a flush draw may be his most likely holding. Then he bet the turn hoping you'd give up and when the board double paired, bet his Ace on the river for value.

OTOH, he might have made a loose pre-flop call with Ah-5h and kept betting because he tripped up on the turn. Or he might indeed have a king and kept betting because, well, he had a king, your possible A-A or A-K be damned. And he might have a pocket pair bigger than yours and bet the river because you would likely have bet had you had a king.

I think there'd be enough doubt in my mind to have called him down as well.

What are your thoughts about a river check-raise?
Old 04-14-2005, 01:38 AM

Default What he had

[ QUOTE ]
I suppose it's not impossible he just cold-called pre-flop with A-K or even A-A. And that's why he kept firing on the turn and river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair point.

[ QUOTE ]
What are your thoughts about a river check-raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

In the moment of the hand, it still took me a few seconds to commit to calling even on the river. I don't see any gain by checkraising here except to really irritate myself once in a while when I get 3-bet.

After I called he said "queen high" and my 77 was good. So it seems he had something like QhJh. But it felt a little odd to go to the river given all that flop heat.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:47 AM

Good points Ryno.

Thanks to everyone who contributed their thoughts.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:59 AM

Hi Crafty,

I'm not sure how I feel about this play, but I love your logic. Well played, or at the very least, well thought. Your opponents will have to think twice before pulling a move on you next time. Hopefully you made that river call and instantly flipped up 77 like you thought it was the nuts.

Good luck.
Eric