Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2005, 01:38 AM

Default Re: Anyone want to discuss tough 5/10 players you see on all the time?

flair-

excellent post regarding the 5/10 game. I'd be interested in hearing more comments about the game, which I don't think will get attention buried in this thread.

Would love to see a thread dedicated to this topic alone.

-jeff
Old 04-13-2005, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Nonsense.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-13-2005, 06:45 AM

I think the varying opinions on 5/10 full are due largely to the varying methods of table selection (i.e., most people are lazy when selecting tables). I have a friend who is a proven winner at 5/10 full, yet lacks many basic hold em concepts, and he's always sitting at tables where there are 3-4 really bad, fishy players. He's just really good at table selection.

Ever since I listened to him concerning table selection, it's been much easier to find and stay at great tables as well as clean up there.

The key element to his table selection that people here might lack is that he looks for players, not table V$PIP %s. Find 3 fish-that's all you need. I swear, he's shown me these 3-fish tables from 1/2 to 2/4, 3/6, and 5/10 consistently.

M
Old 04-13-2005, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the varying opinions on 5/10 full are due largely to the varying methods of table selection (i.e., most people are lazy when selecting tables). I have a friend who is a proven winner at 5/10 full, yet lacks many basic hold em concepts, and he's always sitting at tables where there are 3-4 really bad, fishy players. He's just really good at table selection.

Ever since I listened to him concerning table selection, it's been much easier to find and stay at great tables as well as clean up there.

The key element to his table selection that people here might lack is that he looks for players, not table V$PIP %s. Find 3 fish-that's all you need. I swear, he's shown me these 3-fish tables from 1/2 to 2/4, 3/6, and 5/10 consistently.

M

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly right. People spend too much time worried about aggregate table numbers. If there are even only (2) loose/bad players and you can get position on them it is a good table.

Many of the aggregate pf numbers on such a table will be low in the 24-26% range. However, if you look at the tight players at such a table many times you will see something like this: (12/3/3, 10/8/2, 15/4/1).

Now how hard is it to play against that type of tight player? Not very, because you know where your at, probably about 70% of the time when you are in a hand with them (which won't be often).

The following is not 100% accurate, but this is how I look at it. I am not looking to completely break the "fish". The main thing I am looking for is for one of them to fund my decent hands with an extra bet or two. Once in a while a maniac might make my night by deciding to cap a flop or turn on some crazy bluff attempt. But mainly the situation I am looking for would be something as simple as having: AQo and hitting my Queen on the flop, and having the bad player pay me on the flop and the turn with something like A6o. I believe it is those loose flop and turn calls, that you would not get from better players, that make these tables worth while. Even though they might not be showing up of PV or GT+ as 30-35% to the flop.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:30 AM

I agree I find very little talk about 5/10 or 10/20 here.
I mainly play 5/10 after dropping back from 10/20. I consider myself tight but do ok. Why is it that 5/10 and 10/20 are not discussed here more?

Also can some would point me to some threads on table selection
Old 04-13-2005, 11:44 AM

IMO, posting identifiable information about players other than yourself is bad form.

so I guess by that logic Barry Greenstein and Daniel Negreanu (who both do public 'player profiles') are way out of line...

we are talking about screen names here. BFD.