Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2005, 03:41 AM

Default Re: JTs in the Big Blind

Bet the river and hope you're raised by a five. Since you didn't do that, check-raise. A straight will call 2 cold and you may get more action from someone slowplaying a set.

Good luck.
Eric
Old 04-12-2005, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(Which btw, is only the 3rd nuts).

[/ QUOTE ]
I see fifth:
Straight Flush with the 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
and three higher flushes: A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I did agree with some of your points on the turn bet, but I think you're ignoring the previous action on the hand. In the end, I think it's a close call. However with all the passive play I've already seen on this hand, I think I have to bet here.

And for the record, the button showed a slowplayed Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and MHIG.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:51 PM

So did you just call the river or did you c/r?
Old 04-12-2005, 01:55 PM

Stupid question about nut hands. In this case there are a lot of hands that beat you. AK [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], AQ [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A9-7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A5-4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. As well as K/Q high flushes and the striaght flush for a total of 19 hands. So in this case do you have the 20th nut hand or don't you count them that way?
Old 04-12-2005, 03:16 PM

I just called. I didn't feel like risking another bet on that board, and would have been sick if another raise came. I felt like I was stealing money as it was.

As for the nut hands, as far as I know, you only count the top card of a flush hand. Ace high, King high, Queen high, etc. The kicker card is irrelevant.

Thanks for all the good advice on this post.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
your river check sucks. bet out.

think about whats going to happen if you check versus when you bet. There's a good chance he's not betting this river. Also checkraising kills your action, and checking with the intention of getting a bet from the button and going for overcalls has a a lot of risk to it mainly button not betting and killing the possibility of a 3-bet even if it is remote.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see the argument for betting out on the river, but for the record, my intention was never to check-raise. It's just not my thing when first to act with 5th nuts and four opponents. I think the clear choice is to bet or check-call the river.

In my opinion, the turn bet isn't that bad, even in early position. When I know I'm going to call a bet and I don't mind calling a raise, why not just bet out?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you do not like being the first to act with the 5th nuts then why would you feel compelled to bet the turn with a "5th nut" hand that didn't get there yet? I just don't understand the logic.

I'm not questioning your play it is just that I probably would have called a bet on the turn and bet out on the river.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:58 PM

I guess it's just about choosing an aggressive option instead of a passive option when the two are close. I just saw the flop get checked around, and I think that a bet here is likely to narrow the field, which buys me outs.

If I happen to be lucky enough to get it heads up and a blank falls on the river, a river bet may steal the pot as a result of the aggression I showed on the turn.

Short answer..I'm putting that bet in there anyway...I might as well get it in there first, and possibly fold some better hands.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stupid question about nut hands. In this case there are a lot of hands that beat you. AK [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], AQ [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A9-7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A5-4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. As well as K/Q high flushes and the striaght flush for a total of 19 hands. So in this case do you have the 20th nut hand or don't you count them that way?

[/ QUOTE ]

Last time I counted there was only one Ah in the deck!
Old 04-12-2005, 04:00 PM

I hate the turn bet and the river check.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:04 PM

I don't like that turn bet one bit. It doesn't accomplish anything other than making it more expensive for you to draw (to a none nut hand). Even if it get's you heads up with one caller, you are now almost forced to bluff bet the river out of position against a better hand and even when you hit, it is tough for you to extract extra bets.