Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2005, 11:10 PM

Default JTs in the Big Blind

Party 15/30 - Ten Handed

I'm fairly new to the table, but here's what I have:
UTG: has played half of his 45 hands, somewhat aggressive
MP2: No Read
Cutoff: very loose after 100 hands, 50%vpip 12% pfr
Button: played half of his 37 hands; 9% raised..Passive after flop

I'm at a good table.

I am the big blind with J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG limps, MP2 limps, Cutoff had posted and checks, Button Raises, all call. (5.3 BB)

Flop is 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Checked all around. (5.3BB) Something is fishy here..

Turn is the 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
I bet. Called around to button, who raises. All Call. (15BB)

River is the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
I check, UTG folds(!?), MP2 checks, Cutoff Checks, Button Bets.

Your thoughts on my play thus far, and what is my move here?
Old 04-11-2005, 11:19 PM

Default Re: JTs in the Big Blind

I think your play is good, and you call the river.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:21 PM

your river check sucks. bet out.

think about whats going to happen if you check versus when you bet. There's a good chance he's not betting this river. Also checkraising kills your action, and checking with the intention of getting a bet from the button and going for overcalls has a a lot of risk to it mainly button not betting and killing the possibility of a 3-bet even if it is remote.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:34 PM

I wouldn't bet the turn as you're not winning this one unimproved and it seems like someone is setting up for a raise. Even if the pf raiser has nothing, chances are someone in EP has a hand they'll want to protect. So just check-call the turn.

Easy bet out on the river.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:34 PM

I like your bet on the turn. I think that you need to bet the river. It would be horrible if it got checked through and you miss out on getting paid off by the two between you and the button.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:53 PM

Turn bet is fine. I'de bet the river for sure though.

PokerPrince
Old 04-12-2005, 12:15 AM

River is bad. Bet the river. Since you didnt bet the river, call looking for overcalls; a raise is just going to knock out callers and get you into trouble against a higher flush (very unlikely though).

-Brad
Old 04-12-2005, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
your river check sucks. bet out.

think about whats going to happen if you check versus when you bet. There's a good chance he's not betting this river. Also checkraising kills your action, and checking with the intention of getting a bet from the button and going for overcalls has a a lot of risk to it mainly button not betting and killing the possibility of a 3-bet even if it is remote.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see the argument for betting out on the river, but for the record, my intention was never to check-raise. It's just not my thing when first to act with 5th nuts and four opponents. I think the clear choice is to bet or check-call the river.

In my opinion, the turn bet isn't that bad, even in early position. When I know I'm going to call a bet and I don't mind calling a raise, why not just bet out?
Old 04-12-2005, 12:41 AM

betting out the turn is fine, esp because it seems everyoen in this hand other then the button is being extremely passive, and you get 3 calls to him.

because of these idiots in the middle, the button cannot raise the turn without a real hand that is gonna beat you on teh river (other then A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img])

on the river you should either bet and call a raise, or check raise. because you're first to act, bet and call a raise. its possible one or more of the guys in the middle caught something and you will get just as many bets in as check raising if the button calls.

stealthcow-
Old 04-12-2005, 01:06 AM

I have a question to all of you? Why is betting the turn a good idea like most of you think. You are out of position and at the most probably have 9 outs. I seriously doubt that you are going to win this hand without a showdown. Most of the time when you make a bet like this on a board like this you will get raised and then possibly 3-bet by early position limpers who made sets/straight/2 pair, etc., causing you to lose players and screwing up your pot odds. Being results oriented, the bet on the turn worked out fine, because everyone called and then the last player to act raised and everyone called again, giving you good pot equity assuming you are drawing live, and then you hit your 9 outer on the river (Which btw, is only the 3rd nuts). However, you are out of position and so it is hard to figure out what to do with your hand on the river, which in itself might be a good reason not to be blindly flinging chips in the pot on the turn.