Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2005, 12:15 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

Bet-3-bet seems like an inferior line. Here's the problem. You have 3-bet preflop, and 3-bet the flop, and called the turn raise. What does he think you have? AK or AA. When that river card is coming out, he's thinking, a king woud be awesome. Please son't pair the board low.

So the three IS a scare card. If you atop and go when the board pairs low, he's likely to freeze up and fear AA, just calling. Bet-3-bet obviously loses more when your read is off as well. In other words, betting out always loses more when behind, and often wins less when ahead. Bad combination.

You have to be pretty confident he will raise KJ and pay off a 3-bet to take this line since this player description will surely lose 2 to a checkraise.

Good luck.
Eric
Old 04-07-2005, 12:16 PM

Default Re: 30-60 what\'s your river line?

Check-calling isn't horrible, but it is too passive. You just drew out, get two bets in.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:22 PM

Dunno. How often is he also drawing? ...to a better hand!.

Check call gets one full bet out of a worse hand and loses the least to a better hand.

I'm asking because I'm not sure. Hero is a hell of a reader, that's for sure.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:30 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

I think it comes straight down to aggression factor and stupidity from your opponent. If you believe he will bet it then check-raise is the right answer; bet/3-bet is being hopeful, unless he's just a straight up maniac. best chance of getting most bets is to CR. If you think he's smart enough to put you on AA and not AK, then you should bet and maximize your profits.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This player had been slowplaying small sets all night

[/ QUOTE ]

Just out of curiousity, how many small sets had there been?
Old 04-11-2005, 05:03 AM

Given that I am nearly 100% certain of his holding, check/calling would be like giving money away.

PokerPrince
Old 04-11-2005, 05:11 AM

I had seen him take down two big pots with small sets, both hands he coldcalled raises preflop with 66 and 33 and slowplayed til the turn after flopping a set.

PokerPrince
Old 04-11-2005, 05:31 AM

This particular read was not all that tough to make. Let's break it down. EP raises and he only calls. Now we can omit KK and JJ out of it possible holdings as this player would surely 3-bet those hand. His call will mean small pairs, suited and unsuited broadway hands(KJ,QT,AT,QJ etc).

On the flop of KJ5 he raises my bet after EP player calls. At this point do not put him on 55 as I know he likes to slowplay flopped sets til expensive street. I narrow his holdings down to KJ,KT,QJ,QT,AT. Then I 3-bet the flop, we lose EP player and he calls the raise.

On the turn the board reads KJ53. I bet out and he raises me AGAIN. At this point there is ONLY one hand I can clearly put him on, KJ, with an offchance possibility of K5s(which wouldn't surprise me from this player).

PokerPrince