Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2005, 04:47 PM

Default Re: Minding manners

[ QUOTE ]
Keep in mind, I am a big time rookie when it comes to more formal gambling...when buying in, is that done at the table or at another location.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on location. Ask the brush when you sign up. This won't brand you as a newbie. Some rooms have chip runners, some places you have to schlep your own chips from the cage.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, what about stradling the big blind, is that a respectable thing to do, or just annoying? (personally, I find it to be just annoying)

[/ QUOTE ]

It bugs the hell out of some people, others don't care, it's not particularly rude or respectable IMO, just part of the game. Do whatever you want.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, what about stradling the big blind, is that a respectable thing to do, or just annoying? (personally, I find it to be just annoying)

[/ QUOTE ]

It bugs the hell out of some people, others don't care, it's not particularly rude or respectable IMO, just part of the game. Do whatever you want.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find that the people straddling bugs the hell out of are not going to be any fun anyways, no matter what you do - they'll find something to bitch about. As a matter of fact, when a guy makes a big fuss out of it, I'm probably more likely to do it. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-07-2005, 05:25 PM

I'm one who hates straddling. I'm typically a lot of fun at the table, very verbal. Joking around, making chip towers, sometimes paying people's blinds if I beat them on a hand, "welcome tipping" dealers as they sit if I'm on a rush, etc.

For some reason, straddling just bugs me. I guess I just hate it if someone sits to my left and does it on every one of my big blinds.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding? I love it when people straddle! The other players never adjust correctly and it often throws them off their game. Sometimes the nittier ones will cold-call out of spite (and then dump on the flop unless they hit), or they will over-respect my isolation 3-bet with A high. Sometimes people just go kinda crazy and you get these enormous pots that are capped 6-7 ways PF. Either way, it tends to loosen up the table overall which is a good thing.

But straddling isn't a matter of etiquette any more than check-raising is - its allowed by the rules of the game so no should get mad about it.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:52 PM

I don't mind an occasional straddle, but if I've got a guy to my left that's a serial straddler and has done it consistently for awhile, it's time for a seat change or a table change.
Last time I was in Vegas had the opportunity to play to the left of a friend who has a thing about people straddling him and I got the chance to ask him "Let me straddle you, just once!" I broke out laughing after I said it, though.
Couldn't help it.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm one who hates straddling. I'm typically a lot of fun at the table, very verbal. Joking around, making chip towers, sometimes paying people's blinds if I beat them on a hand, "welcome tipping" dealers as they sit if I'm on a rush, etc.

For some reason, straddling just bugs me. I guess I just hate it if someone sits to my left and does it on every one of my big blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get a change and sit on the straddlers left. Profit.

^^^^

Not even 3 steps!