Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2005, 12:37 PM

Default Re: i want you to know that i\'m good!

[ QUOTE ]
Along those lines, I would love to see a poker site that allows the player to adopt a different screen name every time he sits down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now there's an idea I love!...that would kill PT sales though.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:44 PM

The issue is NOT what you feel. It is what you DO about it.

If you just feel that you want respect, you are like the rest of us. Don't worry about feeling human.

If you say things that reduce your income or create other problems because of your need for respect, then you have a problem.

Regards,

Al
Old 04-04-2005, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i have a problem. take tonight for example. i'm playing a SNG. i'm playing aggressive on the bubble because i'm short stacked. i'm stealing just enough blinds to stay alive. finally i get called by someone and suck out to double up. he calls me an idiot. tells me i'm horrible. what do i do? i tell him if he doesn't realize why it was a good play, he's an idiot.

what the hell is wrong with me. let me get this straight. i have a solid ROI over a couple hundred tournaments at the $50 level. i'm making more money playing poker than i ever could have dreamed (about 4 months ago i was barely surviving on a $70 BR and playing the .5/1 limit) i know i'm better than probably 90% of the players i'm up against. and for some reason, this no-name schmuck who sucks at poker, is probably break-even at best, is getting under my skin?

i should be able to just type "" and leave it at that. but i can't. i feel obligated to let this guy know that "HEY, I'M REALLY GOOD AT POKER. BOW DOWN TO ME FUCKER!" any suggestions or am i destined to be an egotistical [censored] my whole life.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why i hate online poker
Old 04-04-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i have a problem. take tonight for example. i'm playing a SNG. i'm playing aggressive on the bubble because i'm short stacked. i'm stealing just enough blinds to stay alive. finally i get called by someone and suck out to double up. he calls me an idiot. tells me i'm horrible. what do i do? i tell him if he doesn't realize why it was a good play, he's an idiot.

what the hell is wrong with me. let me get this straight. i have a solid ROI over a couple hundred tournaments at the $50 level. i'm making more money playing poker than i ever could have dreamed (about 4 months ago i was barely surviving on a $70 BR and playing the .5/1 limit) i know i'm better than probably 90% of the players i'm up against. and for some reason, this no-name schmuck who sucks at poker, is probably break-even at best, is getting under my skin?

i should be able to just type "" and leave it at that. but i can't. i feel obligated to let this guy know that "HEY, I'M REALLY GOOD AT POKER. BOW DOWN TO ME FUCKER!" any suggestions or am i destined to be an egotistical [censored] my whole life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ask yourself this question.

What is more important to me, that my opponent acknowledge my skill or that I get his money?

If the acknowledgement is more important than the money then keep doing what you are doing. If it is not then adapt your behaviour to your goal.

I will not act like a clown or an idiot but I certainly am not going out of my way to correct anyone who thinks I am a donk.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:41 PM

yet again I was told something at the table like "nice raising moron."
I gave my standard reply: "TY"

when he replies "what the f'ck were you thinking? you were on a draw. f'cking retard."
I again reply: "ty"

It's effective in that it gives me some form of weird satisfaction while also confusing the hell out of my opponent.

I used to say things like "LOL...nice catch" and other such stuff when I lost to an inside-straight draw or something. This was usually done out of frustration from losing more than anything else. This was also when I first started playing and could never remember whether a full-house beat a flush or vice-versa.

Point is...I spent a bit of time in the "I'm frustrated that all I do is lose so I'm going to vent at my opponents" mindset.

To answer your question more directly...I'm not exactly sure why some players are so keen on justifying their thoughts on the correctness and pot-odds regarding the play they just made.

But I do think it is somewhat understandable (Al's ideas on being human thus wanting respect from others applies I believe).

You just need to be smart enough to reply in a silly or fun way or not reply at all (just do something OTHER than giving a reply where you actually give your TRUE thoughts on the way you played the hand).

Regarding Zen and the Art of Poker.

There are some ideas about patience and staying within oneself that are probably worthwhile for many.

But there are SO many ideas about "sensing" when the cards are about to go cold on you and leaving "before" you suffer the losing streak and other such nonsense that one absolutely NEEDS to read it critically.

A lot of the book is just really silly (I was paging through my copy the other day).

If you're going to read this book then make sure you can distinguish between the parts about patience and discipline that are good....and the parts that are so incorrect that it would make Mason want to throw-up all over Larry Phillips (author of Zen of and Art of Poker).
Old 04-05-2005, 04:15 AM

Muti-table and turn off chat. If you are as good as you say you are, you should be too busy making money to care about the chat box.

Pep.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:30 AM

"nh" is always the response...

if someone is very very idiotic and whiny, i'll reply "you should cry more"
Old 04-05-2005, 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Along those lines, I would love to see a poker site that allows the player to adopt a different screen name every time he sits down.
GG

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh geez. Don't do that! It'd screw up my fish ... er ... I mean "buddy" list all to heck! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Dean
Old 04-05-2005, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I can't beat the .5/1

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait... WHAT?
Old 04-06-2005, 02:57 AM

I would wait till I sucked out on him and start ripping about how I outplayed him and am so [censored] good. Then I would punch him in the eye. If it's online just hit the screen, but be careful not to break it.