Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2005, 11:22 PM

Default Re: expert play ? QQ

Call the river. The pot's big enough.

Raise the flop. The board is too coordinated - don't let backdoor flush and straight draws stick around to suck out on you. Gets rid of the crappy A's too.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:28 AM

I'de bet the flop and the turn if checked.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:03 PM

I like to smooth call the flop in a hand like this when I flop a set, a flush, or some other MONSTER hand that isn't going to be outdrawn. This way I can keep extra people in the pot meaning more $$$ for me and I can raise the turn. Hopefully then people will put me on a flush or straight draw then (board dependant)and stay in.

On this though you have to reraise the flop to get the draws out and maybe people who are hoping to catch an Ace.

JB
Old 03-26-2005, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't think i noticed at the time i had the Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
What does have the Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] have to do with not raising the flop? And how can you fold this river getting 17-1 on a call? Is this a joke post?
Old 03-26-2005, 09:14 PM

Turn raise NOT a bad play, but the folding on the river with 17 big bets out there seems like a mistake.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:39 PM

id think you would want to raise the flop always and then bet on the turn (after its checked to you). that also makes it easier to play the river, since they see it as you playing it agg the whole way
Old 03-26-2005, 11:48 PM

This thread should be titled "My play, brilliant in my opinion."
Old 03-26-2005, 11:48 PM

Hahaha, I thought the same thing.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i don't think i noticed at the time i had the Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
What does have the Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] have to do with not raising the flop? And how can you fold this river getting 17-1 on a call? Is this a joke post?

[/ QUOTE ]

the title of my post is a joke. there are surely mistakes all over this hand, hence my reason for posting it.

I like when people who have 90% of their posts in other topics and responses to general forum chat in the zoo and in the general forum feel the need to chime in and try to be smart in response to a basic hand question and offer no actual content.

my reasoning for waiting to the turn to raise was to give the old "raise a brick turn" equity trick a shot, but really my equity on the flop is large enough to pop it there in hindsight. but i think if i had paid attention to the Q spade i would have popped it anyways, having redraws if a spade hit the turn.

But since I didnt raise the flop and the turn paired nines, I was alarmed by the cold call by the first player. I was positive i had mp beat. I put early player on a flush draw or a slim chance of them having that 9. and the stop and go on river was even more alarming. like an "i don't want to let my 9's get checked through" or an i had a nut flush draw but just hit my ace i'll bet like a zombie. either way i hated that river bet by the first player.

I realize that most of the time it is a big error to fold for one bet in a big pot, but I have been trying to rely on my reads lately and tone down where i pay off. I realize its not "my biggest leak," but I have been attempting to include more player read dependant plays, than to just fire it up with ABC cyborg poker and calling just because the pot is decent and ed says so. folding the river is probably wrong here, although i thought it was close at the time with reads

thanks for all the genuine comments
Old 03-27-2005, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like when people who have 90% of their posts in other topics and responses to general forum chat in the zoo and in the general forum feel the need to chime in and try to be smart in response to a basic hand question and offer no actual content.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this comment. It is off-putting to new posters to get the kind of smarmy coments that bothered you.

I read the threads daily but those kinds of comments bothered me enough to quit posting questions. Poker is tough enough without taking crap while asking for advice.