Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2005, 07:58 PM

Default Re: Hand-Reading for beginners

TA preflop puts him AA-TT,AK. We can rule out QQ, and JJ because of turn play- he might not cap flop with QQ to nail you on the turn for more. That leaves AA,KK, TT.

The 3-bet freezes him because he thinks you have the Qs. I'm gonna rule out AA just because that would suck. AK i think he would have folded river UI.

That leaves: KK, the only hand i would think worth calling the river bet with.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:06 PM

A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (1 way 20%)
A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (1 way 20%)
K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K x (3 ways 60%)

If he's really tight aggressive preflop, he should have capped only with AA-QQ and AKs (JJ and AQs might be remote possibilities). QQ would have capped the flop, and JJ would have raised the turn.

So what did he have?
Old 03-23-2005, 08:16 PM

KK. I was gonna say A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], but I can't see a TAG "cold-capping" that. But it would explain his postflop play very well.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain is Tight-Aggressive preflop and Aggressive post-flop. It's very clear what he holds.

---

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG folds, MP1 calls $0.09 (All-In), Hero calls.

Flop: (12.68 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO calls.

Turn: (9.34 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

River: (11.34 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 13.34 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

This is how I would approach this question:
1) What would he call a three-bet with on the flop?
2) Of those hands, which would he have capped the flop with?

How I did approach:

Firstly, capping hands, TAG vs TAG, in position, I give him:
(AA-JJ, AKs, AKo).

Hands that would call the three bet on the flop:
QQ, AQ (I could only give him AQs in this case, not AQo, but it doesn't really affect the hand), KK, certainly JJ might try to make a move, and I don't think that TT is possible given the PF action.

I think AA would cap the flop and pray that I didn't have queens. Remember, he's in position, so he can call down to the river, and bet the river if I check it to him. He knows that I can't take a free showdown in this hand.

QQ would definitely call, as he would get an extra SB out of me by raising the turn rather than capping the flop and putting me into call-down mode.

Given that I called his preflop cap, rather than capped myself, I could have a wider range of hands than he could, although since I'm heads-up out of position vs a TAG, it would still be a small range, but would probably include AKs/AQs, etc. My wider range of hands include hands which threaten to draw out on him, so he's likely to try to shut me down with the flop cap if he's got a strong hand.

JJ might be making a move here, by raising the flop, trying to knock me off AK, and then preparing to bet the turn on any card other than an A or K if I check to him. When he calls me on the flop, JJ is still possible.

So... the turn comes along, and I'm thinking to myself, "AQ? Probably not. QQ? Crap. JJ? Double-crap! TT? No. KK? Probably, some people slow down with QQ heads-up... also, since the Q is out there, he's less likely to have the QQ. Since i have AA, he's less likely to have AA."

So I bet and just hoped that he didn't check-raise me.

When he didn't checkraise me, I knew he had precisely KK.

If a K landed on the river, I would check-call, and pray for the chop. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-23-2005, 08:20 PM

AKs, but not [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 03-23-2005, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm gonna rule out AA just because that would suck

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks, bro! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-23-2005, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (1 way 20%)
A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (1 way 20%)
K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K x (3 ways 60%)

If he's really tight aggressive preflop, he should have capped only with AA-QQ and AKs (JJ and AQs might be remote possibilities). QQ would have capped the flop, and JJ would have raised the turn.

So what did he have?

[/ QUOTE ]

Very cool, thanks for posting the hand probabilities!

He had KK, fortunately.

Oddly enough, I didn't think about my AA cutting into his AKs potential. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

In this example, I should have stopped the hand after the turn... showing the river gave too much info away.

Also, I posted it more for beginners, because I thought it was pretty clear (though of course, he could certainly surprise me with AQ or something).

That being said, there's been some good discussion on the thread, so thanks to everyone who replied.

--Dave.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:32 PM

Interesting, I thought he would have capped KK on the flop. Guess he ain't that aggro [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-23-2005, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm gonna rule out AA just because that would suck

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks, bro! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ] best way to read hands: rule out the ones that suck [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] (i like to live in denial). NICE HAND!
Old 03-23-2005, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting, I thought he would have capped KK on the flop. Guess he ain't that aggro [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well... I WAS betting strongly into the PF capper... I could basically have AA/KK/QQ/AQ to do so. I'm not 100% sure, but it might be +EV for him to slow down with that hand range in mind, particularly when he can prevent free-show-downs.

--Dave.