Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2005, 03:48 PM

Default Re: Is This a Bad Chase?

Calling the flop is fine. Calling the turn is actually closer than you think; if you bet 200 on any river you hit you are going to be fine because he'll usually* pay you off.

*The reason it's not fine is because when the ace hits, you're screwed. This is why 65 on a flop of 843 is a much better hand.

[ QUOTE ]
The 6 also makes you the non nut straight, so none of the 6's are actually clean. The 8 on the board throws up a red flag. 57,67,47,

[/ QUOTE ]

While i would still fold this bet - as i only count 6 outs (not the spades that fill the st8), giving ~6:1 odds to hit and ~3:1 odds to call - discounting the non spade 6's as outs is way too overcautious IMO.

They don't make the straight, but they open the board to a larger straight on the redraw. My thinking, and I could be wrong, but here goes. If an offsuit ace falls, you can bet hard enough to really charge anyone else trying to outdraw you, and besides pairing on the river, there's not alot of scary cards, so you can charge the sets and tptk on the river. What happens if a 6 falls. Yes you are going to bet it hard on the turn, but there are a lot more scary cards on the river that you have to deal with. With that in mind, I'm discounting the 6's some, because they change the way I play the hand. Does that make sense?

Later,
Rick
Old 03-22-2005, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They don't make the straight, but they open the board to a larger straight on the redraw.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 97 or 75 that called a bet on an 832 board?

[ QUOTE ]
My thinking, and I could be wrong, but here goes. If an offsuit ace falls, you can bet hard enough to really charge anyone else trying to outdraw you,

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you can't, because it's an ace and then they'll fold their 8 and that'll suck because you have a straight.

You can bet enough to make them make a mistake without desperately trying to snatch the pot away from that guy drawing dead.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:12 PM

Thanks adanthar. Great advice as usual.