Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2005, 03:14 AM

Default Re: KQo, a little post flop play

I would call preflop. You have 1580 in chips, these guys have 700 and 400, and they are in the cutoff+button.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:35 AM

Adanthar's reply would be brilliant if the chip stacks were different. Still, his reply is the most valuable part of this thread even though it's wrong in this particular situation because of what's going on with the chip stacks and the fact that one of these monkeys has already lost half of his chips in level 1.

The preflop call is fine against these blokes, and you have a pretty good chance of getting their stacks.

Your goal on the flop is to induce a bluff. A check would work better here because they don't have enough chips to expect you to fold if they are naked. Your flop bet is really bad, I think.

On the end, I agree with Yugo that a busfare bet is in order.

Irieguy
Old 03-22-2005, 03:40 AM

The most valuable part of this thread is that checking the turn and river is flat out horrible.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The most valuable part of this thread is that checking the turn and river is flat out horrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everybody already knew that (except Scuba), so how is that valuable?

Irieguy
Old 03-22-2005, 10:41 AM

Thanks guys. The most valuable part of this thread is that you guys aren't afraid to express your true feelings. Lol.

Thoughts very much appreciated.

Irieguy, the reason I didn't check here is I didn't want to allow anyone to have a free card. What you're saying is that due to their stacksizes, you're able to predict that these guys will willingly put in some of their chips here. Is that correct?

If so, when is it appropriate for me to open bet vs. hoping for a checkraise?

To the others, why is a lesser flop bet 'better'? Phil Van Sexton suggested that if I don't intend to put anymore chips in the pot, then betting a little more is the better move here. (PS - I see how I should have considered stacksizes more here)

Scuba
Old 03-22-2005, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To the others, why is a lesser flop bet 'better'? Phil Van Sexton suggested that if I don't intend to put anymore chips in the pot, then betting a little more is the better move here. (PS - I see how I should have considered stacksizes more here)

[/ QUOTE ]

I like that you came up with a plan and stuck with it. Bet big, and check it down. Unfortunately, this was the wrong plan. That might have made more sense with A9 (second pair TK) or as a total bluff, but KQ is just too good. In addition, the stack sizes allow you to play this aggressively.

The CO raised to 45 pre-flop. That's not really impressing me, so I have no reason to think that KQ isn't good here.

Betting 100 on the flop isn't wrong, but I probably would've checkraised. I'm not much of a checkraiser, but I think its the best play here.

Betting 150 is too much. You want morons with 88 to call you....oh wait, they call anyway. Still, I think 150 is too much if you do choose to bet.

Checking the turn is horrendous, but at least now I understand what you were thinking. I'm sorry that my previous advice cost you at least 200 on this hand.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
River: Yeah, so I'd just put villian in here for all but perhaps one or two of his chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you leave him with one or two chips? I hate people that do that and I actually enjoy the sweet consolation prize when I call and lose here and am left with 1 chip. Do you see why?
Old 03-22-2005, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
River: Yeah, so I'd just put villian in here for all but perhaps one or two of his chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you leave him with one or two chips? I hate people that do that and I actually enjoy the sweet consolation prize when I call and lose here and am left with 1 chip. Do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]

you really should tip the dealer more than a buck, you tightwad. . . [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-22-2005, 12:12 PM

Agree with the consensus here.

Preflop - KQo is a tough hand to call a raise with out of position - even with your stack.

Post flop - possibly too much but I don't mind it. Morons aside, that bet should have eased concerns about a flush draw. Now I'm hoping Q-J, J-10 but still worried about a tight A-Q play. Set is also a possiblity but he'd have raised you all-in to protect. Unlikely.

Post turn - have to bet here. Even if he's on Q-J or worse, now he could be 4 to the flush and you let him have one for free. I cannot believe he didn't bet here. So weak, particulary with his stack. Would you have called?

Post River - have to bet here. He's shown absolutely no strength and he can't really hurt you. Make him PAY!
Old 03-22-2005, 01:09 PM

I think I'm seeing a difference between my mindset, and the postflop forum mindset. It's my mindset to just take down the pot here on the flop. I get the sense that at this stage, I should be trying to build the pot. Is that correct?