Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2005, 05:40 AM

Default Re: Good news for our resident hawks

It's one thing to "support a cause". It's quite another actively campaign for war. Why this distinction is lost on you is beyond me.

No doubt, everyone has their pet "causes" -- pin a ribbon on your lapel or maybe send the occasional check, put a bumper sticker on your car, whatever works for you. But to reduce the initiation of war to that level ... sorry, I just can't see it that way.

When you campaign to start a war, you are actively working to create a conflict. That conflict, when achieved, will put the lives of real human beings -- military and civilian -- into real danger. Many of those people will die. Many, many more will be permanently maimed and injured. This isn't the Jerry Lewis telethon, this is conscious endangerment of real people who have put their lives at their country's disposal under a bond of trust. To break faith with those people by sending them into harm's way based on lies and disinformation is a cruel betrayal, to put it mildly. For those who agitated for that breach of trust to then excuse their actions by claiming that war is just like any other political cause -- nothing special, nothing different, just another political wrestling match, rah rah, go team -- it just doesn't compute for me.

As I said earlier: it's like arsonists leading a "support the firefighters" rally, or mafia hitmen leading a "support the police" rally. You cannot simultaneously create a problem, endanger people's lives, and yet somehow have no resulting responsibility for doing your part to clean up the situation you've created.

Same thing applies to those who agitate for war.

Whether you like it or not, it's on you.

q/q
Old 03-21-2005, 10:43 AM

Default Re: Good news for our resident hawks

If the new middle east, one in which democracy gains a foothold, the Palisraelis stop their bloody bickering(even if it is for just a decade..) , and Iran/Syria are increasingly isolated, count me in for it being on me, the GOP, and Bush Jr. (hitler Jr to you).

Can we also put not having another attack after 9-11 "on us"...how bout a rejuvenated economy...???