Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2005, 12:56 PM

Default Re: simple question, TT UTG

I appreciate the input. I felt like raising TT UTG (in limit) was automatic and I figured everyone here would agree. It was just that multiple people took me to task for my advice at the other forum, and I just wanted to make sure I was going crazy and/or missing something. Afterall, I cannot think of a single piece of literature on hold 'em that does not advocate raising UTG with TT in any scenario.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:20 PM

in limit, TT is certainly good for a raise in any position. in n/l, sometimes i raise, sometimes i limp. i will say i limp more often than raise with it, though...seems the pots i win are much bigger when i limp.

cheers!
Old 03-19-2005, 05:29 PM

I'm mostly an NL SNG player, but this idea may work for other games as well. I'm working on a flexable set of "Go/No Go" questions I ask myself in common situations. For UTG it goes something like this:

Question 1: "Will this hand stand being raised?" Because there's a good chance it might be. With TT the answer is yes (unless it's a monster raise). So on to ... Question 2: (and this has to do more with SNG play so limit players can ignore) "Where are we at in the tourny?" Early on I'm looking to get to the flops cheaply and hope for a nice hit. As the blinds get bigger and the table gets smaller I'm a little more likely to raise with TT. Finally, question 3: "Who ARE these people anyway?" If I've been able to get any reads on my opponents I use them to decide how to bet. Against a tight/weak op I might hit the pot big pre-flop and then, if called, hit it again post flop whether I hit or not. I get a lot of pots that way. Other types get treated differently.

Dean
Old 03-19-2005, 05:49 PM

Dean,

you are certainly on the right track in terms of thinking about the game. the thing you need to find out is if the conclusions you reach are the most profitable in terms of EV.

i don't play sit & go's, so i'm afraid i may be not much help to you here. for question 1, i would tend to think with a s & g's punishing blind structure, calling a re-raise after an UTG raise may not be good...it really depends on the depth of stacks more than anything. if you raise with it UTG, and someone pushes on you(which i would assume is standard when it comes to re-raises), can you call if losing will cripple you? you wanna gamble?

even in my cash games, it is sometimes -EV to call a re-raise of my raise because of stack sizes, or because i have a great read on the player i'm up against(i play a lot of pot limit live).

cheers!
Old 03-19-2005, 06:05 PM

Getting a bit OT here, but had to say thanks Tripdad. Stack size is ALWAYS a consideration in tourny play (sng or mtt) and I completely forgot about it here.

Think I'll post other "Go/No Go" lists I've come up with (probably in the beginners forum) and see what else I've fogotten to include! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Dean