Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2005, 08:19 PM

Default Re: Reverse Leak?

I fold this T9s preflop, and I believe I'd play it more profitably than you postflop, at least based on the knowledge of this hand. This leads me to believe you should fold.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:41 PM

Fold preflop, check the flop, bet the turn, river play is fine.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:45 PM

Just to be clear, as I said in my response to OP, I would also fold preflop.

Although, if playing it well would increase my ROI, I would want to try even if I might end up making mistakes.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The bet of 30 on the flop doesn't do anything. You have two checks before you and a weakly played preflop, so if you are aggressive here and want to make a semi-bluff that is one thing, and if you want to check/fold when you most likely have the worst hand that is fine too, but why bet 30?

[/ QUOTE ]

Even microbet does not like the microbet on the flop..
Old 03-17-2005, 10:17 PM

One can tell who a new poster is. Comments such as u wont lose sleep over 30 chips what is that if u do it 500 times u lose a lot more then 30 chips on a bad play you need to be way tighter im sorry maybe im too tight i dont call that on bottom if there arent someting liek 5 or 6 limpers in front of me.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess this is more what I was thinking. Yeah, its bad position, but I don't think I'd lose sleep over throwing 30 chips at suited connectors.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget you're open limping in middle position, which makes things even worse in this case.

Spending 30 chips on suited connectors early on in the game hoping to flop big is not a big deal... but you can't do it repeatedly or it adds up. Also, do it when you have advantages like position to facilitate things post flop.
Old 03-18-2005, 01:33 AM

Thank you all for the wonderful responses. I am definitely learning. Usually I fold a hand like this pre-flop but for some reason limped in this time. I suppose you could say I had to call since they were SOOTED! LOL (just kidding)

Great advice all around. In retrospect I am not sure why I did not bet the turn....

thanks to all of you I have learned:

1. Fold this pre-flop unless in late position with lots of limpers

2. Do not value bet on the flop unless I actually have a hand!

3. Bet on the turn to make the drawing hands pay and to add to the pot even if it makes someone fold.

4. Itis okay on the river to bet small if I fear someone may have a full house or a higher flush.

The results of the hand were that both callers had trip Kings and my flush held up to win. Thanks again for your help everyone. Wow I love this game!
Old 03-18-2005, 05:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: (t120) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t30 </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

With one less opponent, my default play on a flop like this is to bet around t80 - so long as I have outs to beat top pair. My logic is that I will take down the pot unless an Ace or King is out there. Is this wise, early in a £10+1 ?
Old 03-18-2005, 08:45 AM

the thing you have to remember with drawing hands is that the times you call and don't hit tend to add up to a lot. A lot of the time when you flop a monster, no one plays you off.

So, the odds are against you hitting, and they are against to getting paid off. Does this mean you shouldn't play drawing hands? No, but it does mean that unless you are playing in a DEEEEEEEEEP stack NL hold em game, you cannot play them in bad position with no callers in front of you.

In STTs the blinds are shallow even from the beginning. I don't have pokertracker stats to back this up, but I can't imagine that set value is nearly as high as people think. I tend to fold 22,33,44,55,66,77, to a standard 4x BB raise unless I am in position with cold callers in front of me.

Assuming you won, Whats your net on this hand? Like 400? How often do you think you will net that on 10-9 suited in this spot? I doubt its 30/400 times.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the probability that your opponent has a flush when the board has 3 flush cards, and you have two is like 5%. IMO, in SNGs, you just have to go broke assuming you've got the only flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree with your thinking here, chuck.

The question is not what "the probability that your opponent has a flush when the board has 3 flush cards, and you have two...", but what is the prbability he has it GIVEN HIS BETTING. You are not playing versus a random hand, but against someone who has a reason to stay in the pot (and raise). One obvious reason with such a board could be a flush hand.