Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Other Gambling Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2005, 03:37 PM

Default Re: CHESS Match for cash

[ QUOTE ]
id rather they didnt, id like to watch the match, and i dont feel like getting a ton of pms

[/ QUOTE ]
It's still a waste of space. A monster thread consisting mostly of individual chess moves will take up the first page. A more sensible way to use the forum would be to post the game record afterwards.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:42 PM

you both are using chessmaster/fritz behind, bots
Old 03-11-2005, 09:02 PM

actually, no i wasnt. what a strange thing to say, considering the game has hardly progressed much past a fairly standard opening.

if you think i would need to consult a chess program on the first 8 moves of a game you are pretty clueless about even average levels of compentance. i would be insulted, but your comment really says more about you than anything else.

ohh and chessmaster? ive never heard of it. i did use to use shredder, or sometimes fritz, when i wanted to do some decent analysis, back when i actually took the game seriously.

if you think i could be bothered, much less need, to fire it up now to beat some random guy on a poker msg board i find that pretty comical.

anyway, i agree this is turning into a stupid waste of bandwidth, and the other guy seems to of dissapeared anyway, so i guess we can call this a draw.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:04 PM

Im using a basic chess program to record the game...I can beat that thing on the hardest level anyway...I will move tommorow ..how about a mutual agremeent of not taking longer than 15 minutes figuring the move out??? A bot wouldnt have played the lines we played anyway.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:00 AM

c3, i decline the draw.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
id rather they didnt, id like to watch the match, and i dont feel like getting a ton of pms

[/ QUOTE ]
It's still a waste of space. A monster thread consisting mostly of individual chess moves will take up the first page. A more sensible way to use the forum would be to post the game record afterwards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why aren't you reading the board in flat mode?
Old 03-13-2005, 09:06 PM

the front page of this forum rotates about once a month anyway, hardly a big deal.

dxc3.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
time is good way to handicap. give a gm 30 sec's or a min, and you get 30 or 60 min. I think Dzindzikhashvili used to do sht like that in Wash Square Park (except more like 10 or 20 secs vs 10 min).

[/ QUOTE ]

Even a GM couldn't beat a halfway decent player in 10 to 20 seconds

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. The GM wipes the board with him, and it isn't close. Depending on the clock used, you may find that he has the same amount of time on his clock as he did when he started.

Back when I used to play, I could give those chess-playing friends who only played casually half an hour to my thirty seconds and not have a problem. If the weaker player uses his time, then the stronger player uses it too, and stronger player wins. If the weaker player tries to play quickly, then he has imposed his own time handicap and the stronger player wins. You really need to be reasonably closely matched before time odds are relevant.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:28 AM

Maybe I could shed a bit of light on this discussion as I am a GM.
Firstly most of these guys hustling for money are nowhere near GM strength and would probably only be able to give a decent GM a good game when they have less than 2 mins each. At 5 mins each the GM will win easily.
And winning a game in 10 or 20 seconds is not really a question of chess strength but more of physical co-ordination. I used to regularly play games with half a minute to 5 against decent players (up to about 1900 ELO) when I was about 20 but probably couldn't do that anymore (I'm 40 now). I certainly haven't tried for a long time. But against a rank beginner then it may be possible. I suppose 2 moves a second is possible assuming the clocks are being pressed properly, and maybe more on the internet
Old 03-14-2005, 04:09 PM

even without premove I've seen somewhere between 5-10 moves/sec in endgames