Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Gambling Games (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   CHESS Match for cash (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=196441)

XxGeneralxX 02-15-2005 06:13 PM

CHESS Match for cash

In the past few years I have been playing all different forms of poker (like everyone else in the world). But lately I have developed a love for Chess. What do you guys feel about playing Chess matches for cash? is this gambling? Thanks

Shoe 02-15-2005 07:33 PM

Re: CHESS Match for cash

Yes it's gambling, but i'd say it is a lot more skill based than poker is.

slickpoppa 02-15-2005 08:47 PM

I don't really consider it gambling because the skill factor is so high, unless the opponents are really close in abilities.

XChamp 02-16-2005 02:02 AM

Sure it's gambling. Everything is gambling.

Chess ratings are based on the assumption that a player of any strength CAN beat any other player, just with varying probabilities. Once in a while I will drop a game to a guy ranked FAR below me. Likewise, I will occasionally take down a big hitter.

Unless players are very close in ability then odds should be argued over. That's where most of the true gambling will come in. Can you REALLY beat him 2 out 3 times while playing black? Will it really be an even game if you give him a pawn advantage?

Chess is a beautiful game. It is the only game, besides poker, that has not bored me after years of playing it (but I haven't tried my hand at backgammon or bridge yet).

A_C_Slater 02-18-2005 09:18 PM

Chess can be gambled on, but the skill ratio is so high that the better player needs to handicap himself. Take away a knight or a rook, etc. I've been playing chess for years and I am quite good, but if I were to play Gary Kasparov straight up 1000 times in a row, he would win 1000/1000 times. But I could still gamble with him if he would agree to take away his queen. Then it might be closer to an even money proposition. I would have to then determine if Kasporov minus his queen was a EV+ situation for me. If not, then I stop playing, or make a deal with him to take off another pawn or two, etc.

wickedgoodtrader 02-20-2005 03:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Me playing the best in the world would be like betting a coin will end up heads or tails (as in it will be 1 OF the 2 not 1 OR the other) It's a guranteed win coinflip and a guranteed win bet if you bet against me in the chess... that is not gambling.

Shoe 02-20-2005 07:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Me playing the best in the world would be like betting a coin will end up heads or tails (as in it will be 1 OF the 2 not 1 OR the other) It's a guranteed win coinflip and a guranteed win bet if you bet against me in the chess... that is not gambling.

[/ QUOTE ]

The one thing i have learned from betting is that NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING is guaranteed. You will still beat the world champ by complete fluke one in x times. Maybe that number is one in a thousand, maybe 10 thousand, maybe 10 million, however, if you play long enough eventually you will do something that catches him off guard, or he gets too over-confident, or just stops concentrating since he beat you 10,000 times in a row. I agree, chess is a lot more skill based than poker, but whenever money is involved, it is still gambling and anything can happen.

EDIT: Even if you have a 99% edge it is still "gambling", it's just that the odds are so much in your favor it is as close to guaranteed money as you can get.

wickedgoodtrader 02-20-2005 03:58 PM

There is such a thing as 100% edge. Put a baby up against Tyson in boxing.

william deangelis 02-20-2005 04:50 PM

He could do something to disqualify himself.... had to take that shot against Tyson.

slickpoppa 02-20-2005 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He could do something to disqualify himself.... had to take that shot against Tyson.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, he would try to eat the baby