FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Are You A Boozebag?
Yep 21 35.00%
Nope 22 36.67%
Used to be 15 25.00%
Trying to be 2 3.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-13-2005, 02:38 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: Best Streetfighter Character

from what i've played of later versions (alpha, mvc/svc, etc) it's a hell of a lot easier to stop so i think that could be considered "patching" it as well. i also don't think the original sf2 was thought out terribly well in terms of game balance or expected to be such a total runaway success dynasty creation, so it's hard for me to believe that any such specfic strategies were inserted with reason (aside from playing to a character's strengths and gief was the only really designed throw character).

you already understand the general disdain of pure throwing loops. it's not like we had house rules that you couldn't use the roundhouse or strong buttons or something, it was normal behavior. i understand what you're saying about the fact that it still exists, and i'm sure at this point it's an everyday and not really disliked thing but it definitely wasn't back then in my local cities or homes.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:06 PM

Well...throw setups were made easier to avoid in later games but everything was made easier in later games. The reason for inescapable ticks and the like in WW and CE was simply bad programming. Capcom simply didn't know what people were going to do. 2-in-1s, the basis for all combos in later SF were also essentially a glitch in the programming. They weren't supposed to be there, but someone somewhere made a mistake and that went on to become the backbone for 2D fighting for years to come. Stuff like inescapable throw setups were mostly just scrapped, although in later games there are still some setups that are 100% inescapable. You could (and people have in the past) make a case that basically the entire engine in SF2:WW is contrary to how the designers thought it would turn out. But it was a lucky mistake nonetheless.

Also, I don't see why people always got bent out of shape at throwing sequences. That's just how the game is and how it was played. Most people either learned to accept it at the major arcades or just found something else to play. I remember it being an issue at first but after awhile everyone just learned to accept it or learned to like Pac-Man.
I'm even more curious about banning 100%s or redizzy combos. That makes even less sense than banning throw setups. No-throw arcades were fairly common but no 100% combo rule is completely new on me.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:28 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

basically it was just to avoid the 'guile gets a singular jump fierce in, so now we shake hands and say good game because you're redizzied to death with the same simple combo' factor. same thing as not allowing eye gouges in no holds barred cage fights, i wouldn't find it very entertaining or consider it much of a sport to watch 2 guys rush to center and drill each other in the nuts or poke each others' eyes out. if somebody managed to execute a highly skillful knockout blow seconds into the match that would still be fun to watch.

the 100% rule didn't apply to later, more balanced or at least somewhat reversible games like killer instinct. something like cyrax's easy infinite on the first rev of mk3 was not considered cool though (net/ball/uppercut loop). it was just more about the 'ok this is not really a game we're playing' type of situations with easy redizzies. or straight jump punching in the corner on mk1 revs, the easiest 100% in any game by a mile. any skillful non-glitchy 100% would be respected and bets would be paid.

when you look at it in ww terms/times, redizzies like guile simply doing standing jabs on zangief are a lot easier than the still-easy boom/throw, jab/throw, etc setups. as far as i know there was nothing along the lines of a 100% in ww that would be generally considered skillful outside of repeated shadow throws in the corner, but that was a glitch. so i think it makes more sense to bar that than tick/throw setups because at least that can be screwed up easier.

i just don't see the point in playing the game, much less betting on it if all it's going to be is a throwing or an easy infinite first hit contest. people balanced the game themselves because it couldn't be done by capcom. same thing as self-policing games like first person shooters where people can kill their own teammates, they get kicked off the server if they're doing it intentionally to help the other team because it ruins the spirit of playing.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I don't see why people always got bent out of shape at throwing sequences.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this like, Ken/Ryu jumping in with short and a constant low-short until you were dizzy or got thrown?

B/c that was generally considered cheap around where I played...
Old 03-13-2005, 11:16 PM

jump in, they block, you step in and throw. they're on the ground, you throw a couple quick jabs or kicks, then step in and throw. you throw a sonic boom, walk in behind it and throw. etc. basically all of it involves throwing people who are temporarily 'stunned' because of blocking.