Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2005, 11:55 PM

Default Re: Misapplied the c/c play?

do you think this play would work against typical 2/4 player? what exactly is the goal of this play?
Old 03-12-2005, 12:12 AM

The goal was....I suck

I was trying to find a place to apply something I learned early in the day instead of letting the situation find me.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:27 AM

I like a raise here. I'm not a big fan of raising A-little when there is no chance of picking up the pot preflop though(ie. against a limper, other than perhaps the small blind, because I have position).

BTW, bet the flop, bet the turn. River could go either way.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise preflop. A6o is well ahead of a random hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking about this hand while jogging last night (poker pops in once in a while)

Villian's hand is worse than random here. I'm not sure what the percentage is, but if I'm villian, I'm raising A LOT here. Maybe as high as 65% of my hands.

Mason's article this month relates to this.
Old 03-12-2005, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think I should have raised here; however, that wouldn't be misapplying what I learned today and was excited to use...so I had to call.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, at least you have a pair of aces with a weak kicker, and a open ended straight draw. The pot's pretty small so those are a couple reasons to play this slow. Another way to put it is that if MP is bluffing, then you want to wait until the river to make the raise. If you're behind to 2 pair or a better ace, you have tons of outs.

You do end up passing up a very nice value raise on the turn, which you would get called by many worse hands. And if you're behind then you're not far behind. That's the downside to just calling. I do think raising is right but I I doubt not raising is a major error -- I don't think it's likely to cost you the pot.

[ QUOTE ]

River: (4.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Oh yeah...I was supposed to bet the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. And as long as you played it this weirdly, you should consider checkraising the river once you checked. If MP had an ace he probably would have risen preflop. I think your hand is good far more than the 55% of the time they say you need to raise.