FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Are You A Boozebag?
Yep 21 35.00%
Nope 22 36.67%
Used to be 15 25.00%
Trying to be 2 3.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-12-2005, 03:02 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: Best Streetfighter Character

'unstoppable throw setups' are quite stoppable. if 'reversals not existing' is your reason for ryu sucking, blanka (for example) still sucks WAY worse because it's harder for him to throw (bite) somebody when they're doing a standard block/throw setup. your entire post is basically wrong to a degree that it's not even worth getting into. there are still idiots posting stuff like 'zangief. and it's not close.' so i should just give stop clicking on this [censored] thread anyway because i'm not proving anything.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
'unstoppable throw setups' are quite stoppable. if 'reversals not existing' is your reason for ryu sucking, blanka (for example) still sucks WAY worse because it's harder for him to throw (bite) somebody when they're doing a standard block/throw setup. your entire post is basically wrong to a degree that it's not even worth getting into. there are still idiots posting stuff like 'zangief. and it's not close.' so i should just give stop clicking on this [censored] thread anyway because i'm not proving anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have to agree.
Although, I could still probably do some good damage from Zangief.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:01 AM

Sure everything sounds good in theory, but it just doesn't work wehn you try it in real life. Guile owns SF2:WW for reasons already stated. For the New Challengers Ken would be the best just because the game becomes a poking contest at this point.
Old 03-12-2005, 01:47 PM

Sigh.
Tomo Ohira won the first major SF2:WW tournaments at World's Finest with Blanka. Blanka isn't high ranked compared to Guile and Dhalsim but he can at least compete. Shotos don't really have a shot in WW. His main weapon is that he can do a crossup into his 100% combo and that he can do a long range setup to his 100%. Basically if he gets any kind of clean hit on you that he was ready for, you're done. Most other 100%s (ToDs) are specific. Since Blanka has the fastest jump in the game, he can occasionally beat Guile just be anticipating a sonic boom and then landing the 100%.
Also, in WW and CE there are 100% unstoppable throw ticks. It takes more than 2 frames to jump in WW, I believe the exact number is 4. Throws are instant in WW and would stay instant until Alpha series. Do the math yourself.
Here's the easiest example. With Zangief you can do low roundhouse and tick to SPD. They get hit, they fall down, you walk up and do it again. If they block, they're stuck in blockstun and can't get out of the way.
If you don't believe me, here's how to test this. Download an arcade emulator (I recommend Callus) and leave a book on the button for jump on the 2P side. Pick Zangief vs. Honda. At the start of the round if you time it right, Zangief can SPD Honda without anything he can do about it (Honda starts the round within Zangief SPD range). That should prove it to you.
That's just the most obvious, most characters have something almost as good. Guile had sonic boom, walk up strong throw tick that only Zangief could stop with SPD. Dhalsim had noogie, slide (actually this worked in varying degrees until ST), etc etc. Shotos didn't have anything nearly this good. Their only good setup was in the corner, meaty low forward. If it hit, throw a fireball, usually dizzy (dizzy counter is 10-12, that does 8 points). If they block, walk up throw. Which is the reason why Ken is clearly better than Ryu. He gets you to the corner easier and at least has a shot at fighting back.

Generally agreed rankings in WW ended up as
Guile
Dhalsim
Zangief
Blanka
Honda
Chun-Li
Ken
Ryu

Before you get all indignant, try knowing what you're talking about first.
Old 03-12-2005, 03:57 PM

Doesn't work in real life? Are you kidding?
Like I said in the other post, my experience comes from tournament level play. So yes, what I'm saying does happen in real life and in fact, has happened.

If by New Challengers, you mean Super Street Fighter 2, Ken was nowhere's near the best character in that game. Sagat and T.Hawk were on top in that game.
If you're referring to Super Turbo (since almost nobody ever played Super SF2), Ken isn't close to top in that game either; the top characters are Ryu, O.Sagat, Balrog, Dhalsim, Vega, M.Bison. O.Ken is below all them and then some. Super Turbo is still played in tournaments to this day actually. It's fairly rare to see a Ken win, simply because he's at a severe disadvantage to almost all characters listed above besides M.Bison.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:00 PM

One more thing I wanted to add while I was at the computer.
Rest of my post is wrong to such a degree? This is pretty funny. Astro, I don't think you understand how Street Fighter worked back then. If you dispute the existence of unstoppable throw ticks in WW and CE, you're flat out wrong. If you dispute the existence of lockdowns, you're flat out wrong again, although that's excusable as this wasn't really known in the United States until after the fact. More a Japanese thing and we didn't really talk to Japan about games yet at the time.
If you're interested in learning more about Street Fighter, I recommend you go to www.shoryuken.com and ask on the forums. Because at this point and after reading through the thread, Astro, you don't know what you're talking about at all.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One more thing I wanted to add while I was at the computer.
Rest of my post is wrong to such a degree? This is pretty funny. Astro, I don't think you understand how Street Fighter worked back then. If you dispute the existence of unstoppable throw ticks in WW and CE, you're flat out wrong. If you dispute the existence of lockdowns, you're flat out wrong again, although that's excusable as this wasn't really known in the United States until after the fact. More a Japanese thing and we didn't really talk to Japan about games yet at the time.
If you're interested in learning more about Street Fighter, I recommend you go to www.shoryuken.com and ask on the forums. Because at this point and after reading through the thread, Astro, you don't know what you're talking about at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

The proverbial gauntlet has been thrown down
Old 03-12-2005, 06:07 PM

Does anyone have any video of really realy good players they could link me to?

I find this interesting since I had no idea stuff like this existed...
Old 03-12-2005, 06:59 PM

Most people don't really. Competitive video gaming never really became a big deal in America. It was very big in Korea and Japan, but just never took hold here. The large distances between the population had a lot to do with it. For a long time, only random places ever got really good at games just because of the exposure problem.

Anyways. There really aren't many places to download match videos of older SF. Super Turbo is still played in tournaments but it's a niche game for the old school gamers and not really popular with the majority of the kids these days. If you're really hard up for Super Turbo action though, http://www.evo2k.com/dvd/ you can follow that link to get the DVDs of the last big tournament. Super Turbo was one of the games there (and if I'm not mistaken, there's a match of me getting owned up by the Japanese champion's Zangief).
Old 03-12-2005, 07:38 PM

Ouch. I guess I have a lot to learn. I've seen and been told a lot of different things. I didn't even know about Zangief holding such a strong dominance in WW. I'll go hunt for some vids and try to post some links.