Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2005, 12:33 PM

Default Re: A trip to the aquarium

[ QUOTE ]
I c the light.

[/ QUOTE ]

Said light smacked me in the face 3 nights ago. I used to think I wanted TAGs on my left so I had position on them. But then I came across an old long thread where Evan was trying to explain to some dude why this was wrong. Suddenly it all made sense to me. In summary, you want fish on your right and TAGs on your left because:

-money tends to flow clockwise on a table, so you want bad players on your right and the good on the left. As Evan said, you want to focus on winning money from the fish
-you'll have the button more because the TAGS will fold more often when you are in MP3 or CO. As a follow up, you'll have better position on all flops with loosies on your right and tighties on your left
-your raises (with appropriately good cards) will get called more often by the fish because they will probably limp, and then "have" to call your raise after. If they were on your left, it would be much easier for them to muck their 95s (and the likes) against two cold.

How does that sound? Am I missing/misunderstanding anything. Evan, it's hilarious seeing you comment on this topic. Everytime it comes up in a thread, BAM, you chime in to enlighten everyone. gg and thanks.

EDIT: semi-hijack I guess. But the thread was moving this direction, so I don't feel too bad.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:07 PM

i always prefer to sit at the LL table with no good players.

peace

john nickle
Old 03-08-2005, 10:53 PM

My favorite this weekend at 2/4 at the Aladdin was the guy who didn't understand what checking was. Every time the dealer said "2 to you" or "4 to you" when it was checked to him, he'd bet or fold.

My second favorite was the one that kept on trying to raise post-flop when she was the first to play.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:33 PM

Default How could I have forgotten

I need to see your cards lady - the old woman who asks to see your cards at the end of any hand when your raise pf or on the flop. She needs to "see how you play" even though she can't fold that QTo to your raise pf b/c those cards are too good to fold. I think she upsets the most b/c out of any fish at the table. The rule was made to prevent collusion, now its just being abused.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:17 PM

A lot of people have allready commented, but while i agree for the most part, i caught references to good on left bad on right. That's completely true, unless you run into the occasional good LAG, which is just friggen irritating, and there are people at full games with 30/17 that play damn well post flop
Old 03-09-2005, 02:23 PM

Default \"...Because the book says to..\"

wow, this is by far my all time favorite guy. this guy plays at the trop NL
Old 03-09-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
loose on the right, tight on the left - aggression doesn't factor in nearly as much as tightness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Think about it this way. A tight player will fold preflop about 80% or more of the time. that means that you gain the oppertunity to have the last bet ~80% of the time. However if they are on your right, you only benifit ~20% of the time (or maybe even 10% when you are talking about raises) because they fold so much. Tighness affects you 80% of the time but the raise affects you only 10-20%. Therefore definately better to have a TAG them on your left.

Greg