Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2005, 04:32 AM

Default A trip to the aquarium

Usually, I'm an online player but lately I've been going down to Commerce on a semi regular basis. Its very much different when you watch them live vs online. Here are a few random observations. Feel free to add more.

1) Seat changing - I'm sitting at the table for about 4 hours and I see 3 or 4 people changing seats every half hour or so. Its just weird, I don't really get why they do it b/c its definatly no strategical. Since I play mostly 4/8 there, I'm usually the best player at the table and have a pretty decent stack after winning a few pots. Time after time, I watch people voluntarily take the seat to my right. They go from having position on me to getting raised on a constant basis. Why would anyone do this to themselves?

2) Just talking to them about poker is very interesting. I know "don't talk about poker at the table" blah blah balh, but sometimes I just can't help myself. Not really educating them or disucssing stratagy but more or less picking their brains, trying to figure out what makes them tick. I was sitting next to this older gentlemen, an engineer for 20 years. Knew all the odds cold. He then commented about why he raised his flush draw on flop. "B/c the book tells me to" I asked him which book and he couldn't remember. He tried explaining it to me and it was very funny. "Well ya gotta raise b/c the book says so but it never works. Your only 4:1 to hit and then it never works b/c it just costs you more money b/c you have to go the river anyway" I never understand how people know all the oods but don't quite understand equity.

3) "These are my lucky cards" guy -I watched some guy crack my KK w/95o earlier today and all I could do was chuckle. He called 2 bets from the bb and proceeded to flop 2 pair. I aksed him why he played it and he really had no clue. Go figure. I've seen people do this over and over online but it hits a new level when you actually watch the person as he does this. Seeing the face behind the cards really makes you go "WOW".

4) "Short buy in" guy - This is anohter thing I don't understand. Guy sits down @ the table and buys in for the minimum 10sb. He then proceeds to lose it in 20 minutes and then buys in for another 10sbs loses that just ask quickly and the cycle contiunes. Whats the point? Why buy in for so little? Why not just buy in for more or just play a lower limit? I never understand those guys

5) Ah but my favorite fish is the "I need a floorman" guy. This is the guy who doesn't really understand what he's doing but insists he's right and proceeds to hold up the game and make everyone else's life miserable. He holds up a personal vendetta to anyone who tries to explain to him why he's wrong or tries to offer speedy help. The worst part about this guy is that he berates the dealer, who's just trying to do his/her job. At least he puts the rest of the table on tilt which is kinda nice b/c the games get more fun.

Thats about all I can think of off the top of my head. If anyone else has any more interesting fish tales to share, post em here cause they are always good for a laugh.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:24 AM

Default Re: A trip to the aquarium

[ QUOTE ]
I'm usually the best player at the table and have a pretty decent stack after winning a few pots. Time after time, I watch people voluntarily take the seat to my right. They go from having position on me to getting raised on a constant basis. Why would anyone do this to themselves?

[/ QUOTE ]
Ugh, you are thinking about this all wrong. If you really believe what you are saying than you need to think about it a lot more.

[ QUOTE ]
Just talking to them about poker is very interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]
They suck. After a while thsi won't interest you very much.

[ QUOTE ]
I aksed him why he played it and he really had no clue.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:30 AM

You forgot about the guy who asks for a new setup every 10 minutes. Getting a new setup pisses me off b/c those things aren't cheap and you can request one every 20 deals. Ugh.

Brad
Old 03-07-2005, 05:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They go from having position on me to getting raised on a constant basis. Why would anyone do this to themselves?

[/ QUOTE ]

They think changing a seat will change their luck. Seriously. It's the same reason that players ask for a setup or can't wait for a new dealer.

[ QUOTE ]
2) Just talking to them about poker is very interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto Evan's comment.

[ QUOTE ]
3) Seeing the face behind the cards really makes you go "WOW".

[/ QUOTE ]

Seeing that play just makes me enjoy B&M more than online. The fact that I actually see the person who is playing terribly hardly matters to me.

[ QUOTE ]
4) "Short buy in" guy

[/ QUOTE ]

They're there to play. They don't need two racks to play.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

They think changing a seat will change their luck. Seriously. It's the same reason that players ask for a setup or can't wait for a new dealer.

[/ QUOTE ]
If the OP really is the best player at the table, then sitting on his right is a pretty damn good idea; its an especially good idea if they did in fact have position on him earlier, as he said. You should all know this.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:57 AM

I'd like your thoughts on this one Evan. I always try to have a good player on my right. I have posistion on him most of the time and assuming I know how he plays, I can play back at him or get out of his way depending upon the situation.

I have been thinking about your post and I don't know why I would want to move to the right of a good player. I would submit, the other players may not perceive the OP to be the best player at the table or as typical live 4-8 players, never consider posistion and just want that lucky seat.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:04 AM

You want bad players on your right becuase that is who you are making money from. Having a good player on your right is useless, its like putting a $10k stereo and 20" rims on your Chevelle. You wan't tight players on your left becuse you will get the button more often.

Don't waste your time trying to isolate good players. No matter how well you do it, they will never be worth as much to you as a bad player will be. In games where everyone doesn't suck and there are clear divisions between the good and bad players, a seat change can have a huge effect on your expectation.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:30 AM

Damn, you are good.

I have been thinking completely backwards. I have been thinking from a defensive point of veiw, good player on my right to save chips when he raises, etc. and that is backwards. Good player folds more often so I am last to act more often than usual.

I have a better chance of isolating the weak player if I am on his left. Probably more reasons you are right if I think about it some.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Time after time, I watch people voluntarily take the seat to my right. They go from having position on me to getting raised on a constant basis. Why would anyone do this to themselves?

[/ QUOTE ]

If we were playing in the same game, and I thought you were the second best player at the table [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], then I would definitely want to sit on your immediate right.

There's been lots of discussion about this. But, in simple terms, you want to have position on the players you're going to win money from. So, there's little advantage to sitting on the left of a tight-aggressive player. But, if you sit on his right, you can raise with your ATo and get him to fold his AJo.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:12 AM

they r changing seats also to get on one or the other side of a certain player maybe