Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2005, 09:20 PM

Default Re: Rounders on FX tonight at 2am est *nm*

youre right, i forgot about the oreos and mikes facial expressions. those suck. i think they added the oreo scene because the audience seems mikes growth as a player when he discovers a vital weakness in his opponent, and realize that this player has suddenly reached a new level. maybe as an avid poker player its not a big deal that he discovered a tell, but to a new player it really distinguishes his progress as a player. besides that, the fact that he keeps oreos at the table with him at all times is awesome. i think its one of the coolest parts of the movie. the oreos may not really be realistic, but its certainly not unbelievable. either way, its funny.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:34 PM

I was at a panel discussion back when I was still trying to make it as a writer and the Oreo tell bit was always in the original script. Its based off of a tell they saw a player spot in a game. These guys originally lost around $2000 in one night at a underground game and then decided to write the script.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:36 PM

It really wouldnt be that hard to do this show and make it more intersting. You can ditch the whole its all rigged theme of the show and just cronical one kids rise to the top and all the [censored] that comes with it.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:37 PM

You need to take a class on Film Appreciation.

[ QUOTE ]
In the beginning, he makes a foolish move (playing a game to large for his BR) and loses all his money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Before he does this, he went to AC and took down Johnny Chand (one hand). Being a young, experienced poker player, he decided that he was good enough for "the apple" (biggest game) and decided to take his shot. Knish tried to warn him, because Knish had seen/done it all and knew that Mike could get ruined in this game, but Mike was too hellbent on taking down KGB and beating the game.

[ QUOTE ]
Then his "Friend" (Worm) comes out of prison and racks up a 7k debt under Mikes name. Then Worm tells him that he owes 15K to this guy and Mike has to play to pay it off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Worm IS his friend. He didn't rat him out when he was caught trying to fix a basketball game and did hard time for him. Worm owed $10k before he was sent up plus the vig ("I can't even figure it with the juice") and he knew people would be looking for him. He pressed Mike to join him at the Ivy league game but Mike had given up the life. But Mike had to scratch the itch, plus he felt like he owed it to Worm to help him. Once Worm plays at Chesterfield, he takes the $2k loaned to him under Mike's name and wins another $8k, but he takes it all so that he can pay off his debt. Little does he know that Grama has bought up all of his debt and now wants $25k (and takes Worm's $10k). In AC is where Worm tells Mike about Grama and the extra $15k. Mike has already lost his girlfriend and is firmly back in the poker world and is ready to help Worm out of his debt.

[ QUOTE ]
And while the "heroes" come close, the idiot Worm has to cheat at a police poker game so they lose 99% of what they have. Good job.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's Worm. He's always looking for that edge, and he figured that he and Mike working together will allow them to take down the cops quicker and easier. That's what the ENTIRE SCENE WAS ABOUT OUTSIDE THE STATION. Did you not watch that part? Yes, Worm was stupid to try, but that was the point of the character.

[ QUOTE ]
The other moronic part of this movie is when Mike doesn't play it safe at the end. If he doesn't sit back down, he pays off the 15k for his life and is half-way to paying off the professor. Instead, he does the retarded thing and plays some more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mike cannot hand over $10k to Grama. He has to come up with $15k or Grama will kill him. He has to go find a big stakes game and win the money within in the next 8 hours ("For the next 8 hours it is yours. But if you don't have it all by then, then you are mine!"). Once he wins, he KNOWS he should walk away, but he's not going to let KGB "pwn" him. ("I always told Worm, you can't lose what you don't put in the middle. But you can't win much either.") Clearly Mike knows he should walk away but he's a poker player and he's going to play.

[ QUOTE ]
A part of me wants him to lose at the end so it teaches people to play it safe.

[/ QUOTE ]

As someone else said, this isn't a PSA. It's a dramatic movie. They certainly could have had Mike lose, then have Grama and KGB take him to a hole and shoot him in the head and bury him if that makes you feel better, but audiences aren't too keen on downbeat endings, especially those that would make the entire movie pointless if they happened.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:13 PM

I told Mikey not to overextend himself, but he wouldn't listen.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to my bathhouse full of overweight Russian men.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, you were giving Mike a living with the playbook you put together off your own beats. That little punk.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, you were giving Mike a living with the playbook you put together off your own beats. That little punk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me stake you. Standard deal. You keep 50% of your winnings.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:22 PM

Eh, I'd just throw it all away. You still got the truck?
Old 03-07-2005, 10:26 PM

Sure.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:29 PM

YOU! You see all the angles but you don't have the stones to play them.