Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2005, 05:30 PM

Default Re: SOMEONE PLEASE LOCK THIS THREAD BEFORE IT GETS ANY WORSE...n/m

The way he gets enough chips to steal later is when the same guy bets into his nines full. There is zero risk there. It is not an eighty percent shot if the opponent flops kx two pair. Though he did not, this guy had no way of knowing that. A pre-flop raise would have won him the hand, but I have tried to add a little slow playing of big pairs to my game. Can be profitable, you must have a good read on your opponent, and you have to release sometimes.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:34 PM

Default Re: Mucking Aces third hand..........a good thing

[ QUOTE ]
I guess a guy by the name of Doyle Brunson was totally wrong in his idea of limping early with Aces sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can imagine that Doyle possibly said this. But along with this, he would also say you have to be willing to go with TP balls to the wall. If you are willing to limp with aces, you got a perfect situation, someone falling in love with TP. But then you failed to take advantage of it.

I dont mind the limping as much as some, although I think its a better option later in the tournament. But if you do limp, you have to be willing to go with it.

Nick
Old 03-07-2005, 06:30 PM

To the newbies trying to argue with Chief and MLG:

Look at their tourney history. Look at their successes. Respect them, and be glad that some sort of decent poker players are responding to an entirely results oriented post.

When I read posts like these I'm afraid that I'll stop being able to read great posts from great players such as Chief, eMarkM, MLG, Gavin, Soss, et cetera because of poor content in the first place.

You let K-5 beat your aces with his top pair horrid kicker. THat's all there is to it. It's been said.

Let's move on. Tired of hearing people like me (beginners) trying to argue with at least somewhat proven veterans.

Brad
Old 03-07-2005, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
... decent poker players are responding to an entirely results oriented post.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just it, results-oriented posts. Hell, it wasn't all that long ago on the learning curve that I fell into the same trap (I may still have a tendancy to do this tho not to the above extreme - I'm still learning). You make a bad play then attempt to justify it based on the results of a single hand. Then you run around quoting NPAs out of context to try and further your point. They'll grow out of that phase as they learn or bust out of the game. Which comes first, I dunno.

What's important is that we do have our resident gurus who won't sit back and let that kind of jibberish get posted without response. Keeps everyone around here focused instead of confused, and keeps the clutter out.

P.S. Now I'm officially done with this post.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:41 PM

wow....i can only imagine the replies to this one...

may the force be with you my son...
Old 03-07-2005, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
they may take me for a fish

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't imagine anyone would ever do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

POTD
Old 03-07-2005, 07:56 PM

Haven't you all heard Kings now out rank Aces, bit if I was in your position I would have gone over the top.
MAN YOU STILL HAD TWO OUTS

Even a baboon could win a pot with AA but youre definately no baboon
Old 03-07-2005, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. People should be required to pass some sort of written test before they are allowed to call other people fish.

[/ QUOTE ]

You clearly just don't appreciate unintentional humor. Get a brain, moran.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:43 PM

I can't believe I just lost 10 minutes of my life reading this entire post. I now feel like a worse person for doing so.

The way the Aces were played here reminds me of a buddy of mine who had this crush on a SUPER cute girl for, like, three years, but she wouldn't give him the time of day. And then, out of the blue, she came up to him and asked HIM OUT ON A DATE!!! Unreal!!! And then, the night of the date - the date my buddy had waited for the past three years - he got too nervous about it so he didn't show up to pick her up. Didn't call her, nothing, because he was too worried the date 'might not end up being the way he always envisioned it being.' And then, about 14 months later, my buddy saw the cute girl who he stood up and never called with an engagement ring on her finger and said to me:

"Well, good thing I didn't go out with that girl. She got engaged to someone else!!! Sure am glad I saved myself that heartbreak."

Idiots. They're out there.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:39 PM

OK, guys, just so nobody misinterprets here, I am not being sarcastic in this post.

I had the exact same reaction as most of you when reading the initial post.

However, after reading his followup, I don't think it was all that bad. I think this guy just needs to write better.

To me it sounds like he was going for a limp re-raise preflop with Aces. I don't think that is necessarily bad in his spot. However, he missed and ended up with a multiway unraised pot. He bets and someone shows a lot of strength with a caller in the middle. So he mucks, expecting that bet to mean two pair or better most of the time.

I'm not saying this guy is playing great tourney poker or anything, but I dont think this is worthy of the ridicule that has been dispensed in this thread.

Let me rewrite his initial post:

I pick up Aces third hand of tourney. Yes. Decide to go for a limp re-raise. 3 callers and blind checks. Ugh. Flop is K-rag-rag. I bet pot, one caller, now someone raises to 400, almost half his stack. These guys will play any Kxs in this spot - two pair is a big possibility. Looks like my play backfired. I fold. Turns out I was ahead of K5 at the time. As it turns out, he hit a five on the river, so luckily this worked out for me.

A couple hands later I pick up Aces again in EP. I decide to try again. What luck. Everyone's going passive when I pick up Aces. Again, multiway limped pot. Flop is 993. Guy comes firing out huge. Wow. Does he have 44? Or does he have a 9? Once again, looks like my plan backfired. Don't want to risk my whole stack on what really feels like a nine that I let see the flop for cheap. I fold again. Ends up this guy had 93s.

Turns out it all worked out well, as I ended up getting second place in this tourney. Glad I didn't get married to my Aces after failing to execute my limp reraises preflop.