Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2005, 04:20 PM

Default Re: Mucking Aces third hand..........a good thing

[ QUOTE ]
I still totally disagree with some of you regardless of my fortunate situation. I may have played hand wrong by not raising that is debatable but after the flop came and the situation I was in what would you do then? I personally limp with aces in that spot just my style but am cautious not to get burned with them if no raises and several see flop. My question then would be if you were in the situation I put you in after the flop how would you play it? My opinion is I just have one pair at that point.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct, you do only have one pair. But it also happens to be a pair above the board. I would never be in this situation, but it would take action from three different players to get me to lay this down. That is, a bet, a raise, and a re-reraise. The first bet says, "I have a pair.". The raise says, "I have top pair." The re-reraise says, "I have nut top pair or maybe even better." At that point I would think that maybe I was beat. Add to that the chance that though I may be winning, I possibly have 3 different draws to worry about.

Again, though, I would never be in this situation.

CSC
Old 03-07-2005, 04:41 PM

If you are going to limp pre-flop then you have to lay it down simply because ax, kx hits two pair and you have absolutely no idea whether they did or not. Raise pre-flop helps, but in the tournaments that I play in, people decide whether they are going to see a flop with their hand as soon as they see it, regardless of raise. Tournament poker is not pure math as Slansky and Malmuth pointed out in their tournament poker book. Pre-flop in this situation against fish, I would either limp or push. Basically play for the set or try to double up. The early tournament fish will call. I realize this is a really weak play, but fish usually don't understand anything but the most obvious, and even then its sometimes over their head.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:46 PM

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. People should be required to pass some sort of written test before they are allowed to call other people fish.

I'm intentionally being harsh here. Your post shows a lack of understanding of some very fundamental poker concepts. You need to learn them.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:53 PM

Head.....going.....to.....explode.......sooooooon.

All I can think of is this:

Old 03-07-2005, 05:05 PM

Default SOMEONE PLEASE LOCK THIS THREAD BEFORE IT GETS ANY WORSE...n/m

Old 03-07-2005, 05:07 PM

LOL, I've read all the same stuff you have, plus a nice chunk on tournament poker. He should have raised pre-flop, yes. That aside, he had to lay it down. There is no need to always play the math in tournaments, especially when your seat is at stake. Game Theory tactics pay off better against poor players, but are more dangerous. Against good players, game theory tactics are less risky but also less profitable. The pros and cons of this play are A) He could double up to three grand in chips third hand or B) loose his seat. Relatively speaking, three grand in chips is nothing - he would steal that much every twenty or so hands later in the tournament. To me, it is not worth the risk of loosing the seat.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL, I've read all the same stuff you have, plus a nice chunk on tournament poker. He should have raised pre-flop, yes. That aside, he had to lay it down. There is no need to always play the math in tournaments, especially when your seat is at stake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know. Who wants those 80% shots when your seat is at stake?

In conclusion, this thread sucks.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:21 PM

Default Re: SOMEONE PLEASE LOCK THIS THREAD BEFORE IT GETS ANY WORSE...n/m

I guess a guy by the name of Doyle Brunson was totally wrong in his idea of limping early with Aces sometimes.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:22 PM

How exactly is he ever going to get enough chips to steal 3k worth? This has nothing to do with game theory considerations. People who say its not all about the math in these situations don't know what the math says.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That aside, he had to lay it down. There is no need to always play the math in tournaments, especially when your seat is at stake...The pros and cons of this play are A) He could double up to three grand in chips third hand or B) lose his seat. Relatively speaking, three grand in chips is nothing - he would steal that much every twenty or so hands later in the tournament. To me, it is not worth the risk of loosing the seat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please, Mat, make it stop.