Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2005, 12:44 PM

Default Re: Negreanu poker journal about the 4k/8k game

[ QUOTE ]
In a previous post, they mentioned they were using $1 chips for each $1,000, since they trusted each so much. Talk about not seeming to care about money.

Kevin...

[/ QUOTE ]

How can they manage this?
I mean, how do they figure who owes who what since people are sitting down and getting up throught the day/night?
Old 03-02-2005, 01:01 PM

or maybe the game is just a joke. for publicity.
Old 03-02-2005, 01:27 PM

the thing that I don't understand is, on here, we talk about 10k hands being a very negligible sample size. probably almost every limit player has had streaks of breaking even and/or running unsustainably well over that many hands. 10k hands is a lot of B&M play, several hundred hours at least. seems to me that his results are pretty short term, although he's clearly a great player.

--turnipmonster
Old 03-02-2005, 02:11 PM

And it seems that these big game players are gamblers first and foremost. Because even if you think you're the best player at the table, who of that lineup is really a big enough fish to make the game worth playing? For someone who cares about game selection (i.e., who is first and foremost there to make money rather than for the action)a big game like that without a real fish is not playable since your edge would be too small relative to the variance.
Who knows, maybe they all thought Gus Hansen was the fish and they're all feeding off him.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And it seems that these big game players are gamblers first and foremost. Because even if you think you're the best player at the table, who of that lineup is really a big enough fish to make the game worth playing? For someone who cares about game selection (i.e., who is first and foremost there to make money rather than for the action)a big game like that without a real fish is not playable since your edge would be too small relative to the variance.
Who knows, maybe they all thought Gus Hansen was the fish and they're all feeding off him.

[/ QUOTE ]

They don't all have to be gamblers to be playing at the big game. Even if a particular player just makes .5BB per hour, he is making much more than he could anywhere else.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:24 PM

He wrote in his journal the NL game is 1K/2K with a 1K ante and 100K cap. That seems strange to me, so much in the pot (13K) and only 50 BBs.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:31 PM

Another factor is they must play so few hands that there is short term variance to the extreme. I read a few of Daniel's blogs and he talks about multiple, multiple capped pots.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He wrote in his journal the NL game is 1K/2K with a 1K ante and 100K cap. That seems strange to me, so much in the pot (13K) and only 50 BBs.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a 100k cap as in the most you can lose on a given hand is 100k. Not the buy-in, but how much each player stands to lose on a hand by hand basis.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:23 PM

So its like having 100K max stacks. Which is 50BB. If you can only play with 100K on a given hand the stacks are perpetually 100K.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:24 PM

Yeah, I guess so. I was just making sure you were on the same page with me. Fair 'nuff.