Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Negreanu poker journal about the 4k/8k game (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=205488)

jcmack13 03-02-2005 07:08 AM

Negreanu poker journal about the 4k/8k game

here is the most recent journal entry from negreanu about playing in the 4000/8000 mixed game. He was down one point three million at one point. I can't see how ANYONE can handle swings like that. 7 figures in a session. even for Danny, that has to represent a huuuge chunk of his total bankroll.

The best part of the journal entry, however, is Phil Ivey being nonchalant about being "stuck a million."

NLSoldier 03-02-2005 07:19 AM

Re: Negreanu poker journal about the 4k/8k game

Where in San Diego were they playing?

jcmack13 03-02-2005 07:38 AM

Your guess is as good as mine. Better, actually, since I've never been to SD. At any rate, I couldn't determine the place from this or other journal entries.

Mason Malmuth 03-02-2005 08:03 AM

Hi jcmack13:

I have a comment on this which I think is fairly interesting. Sometime last year Daniel attended the local Wednesday discussion group and apparently told everyone there that he was averaging two big bets an hour in the ultra big game. (I wasn't present but several people have told me this. Perhaps Howard Burroughs can confirm.) So what happened?

Well, some poker games can be highly fluctuating. But this doesn't necessarily mean that you win one day and lose the next. It can mean that you run very good for a fairly long period of time and then disaster can strike.

Now I'm not being critical of Daniel's poker ability in any way. But these very high limit games against very good players can be quite tough and swings like this don't surprise me. This can be true even after you have come to believe that you are a consistent winner in the game.

Best wishes,
Mason

lowroller 03-02-2005 08:09 AM

They were playing at Harrah's (there for the WSOP circuit).

Sluss 03-02-2005 08:17 AM

I think in this game if Daniel has been playing for over a year and this was his first time being stuck a million he is doing very well.

Howard Burroughs 03-02-2005 08:39 AM

That's the way I remember it as well. Though I do believe he was talking about the $1000/2000 (or something very similar) and not the $4000/8000. I think the $4000/8000 goes mostly during the big side action games during big tournaments (ie San Diego, WSOP time, etc).

BTW, Many thanks to you (Mason), Ed (NPA), Daniel and other poker big shots, who have been nice enough to stop by and talk shop on Wednesdays over the years (when you have had the time). Much appreciated!

Best Wishes

Howard

Kevmath 03-02-2005 09:23 AM

In a previous post, they mentioned they were using $1 chips for each $1,000, since they trusted each so much. Talk about not seeming to care about money.

Kevin...

randomchamp 03-02-2005 11:12 AM

If they were all losers when Daniel came back 1.2 Mil I'd hate to think about how stuck the other two were.......

PokerPaul 03-02-2005 12:00 PM

I hope i am never at the stage where my reality is so warped:

[ QUOTE ]
by hour number 25 I was within about $900,000 of being even

[/ QUOTE ]

thats a very optimistic way to look at it to say the least