Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2005, 11:00 AM

Default Re: Staking, Relocating, and Teaching Players

I anticipate you will have a problem once your friend has made 40K playing poker and is still having to pay you 25% when you probably haven't taught him anything in a long time. It's too expensive and the time frame is too long.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It should be noted that this player's experience in poker is extremely limited and that his potential is extremely high. I would not be surprised if he made his way up to 5/10 SH in 3 months.

[/ QUOTE ]

May I subscribe to your newsletter.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:31 PM

So, you are going to risk what, maybe $1000 with a possible return of $22,500? Good for you. Let us know how it goes taking a total newbie and trying to make them good enough (and determined enough) to win $60,000.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 03-01-2005, 10:03 PM

That is my primary concern mrjim. This is why I am constantly making this player understand and even pointing out such instances so he is mentally prepared for dealing with giving his mentor / investor 25% when the time comes.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:07 PM

If he's good you will not be friends anymore once this continues, and he'll go away on his own. Are you prepared to hire goons? Because this is inevitably going to break down. The duration of the deal is ludicrous.

-Michael
Old 03-01-2005, 10:16 PM

I'm sorry Mr. Chesspain, just because it takes the majority of players 1 year or more to get themselves up to a decent limit doesn't mean it takes everyone that long.

When you have known a guy for a long time, you have played games with him, you have noticed he has mathematical inutition, you know him to be emotionally stable and you know him to be dedicated at the things he chooses to pursue. When you know all this about a person, then you know this person has a lot of potential in the game of poker. This person will not spend 3 months in .50/1.00 grinding it out before he learns which hands do well in multiway pots and which hands do well in raised shorthanded pots, they will grasp this concept in the first week.

I do not have any doubts about the potential of my player and I do not have any trust issues with this player. I am more concerned about things like when I should take my share of his bankroll and the scale I'm using to determine how much I get paid.

It should also be noted that the main investment here is time. The time I spend guiding this player will often be time taken away from being at the tables. The initialy investment of $3000 or so is not an issue in comparison with my investment of time.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:21 PM

We have a lot of mutual friends and interests. He would not be able to do anything like this without his reputation and his friendships suffering harshly. I would not hire goons, I would simply cut my losses and pity the lesser man.

Though, this is definitely a concern. Do you have any suggestions for a different kind of deal where this wouldn't be so much of an issue? Nothing better has come to mind for me.