Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2005, 11:46 PM

Default Staking, Relocating, and Teaching Players

I am in the process of making a deal with an aquantince of mine. I will, as the title suggests, fly the player to me, teach him how to play the game and stake him to play it. I will in return receive 50% of his first 30k and 25% on his next 30k for a total of 22.5k. The player will also reimburse the cost of airfare and is responsible for his cost of living.

It should be noted that this player's experience in poker is extremely limited and that his potential is extremely high. I would not be surprised if he made his way up to 5/10 SH in 3 months. Trust between this player and I is a non-issue, I will not have any problems with receiving payments.

My question for you guys is do you think this is a fair deal, am I expecting too little or am I expecting too much?

Do you see any other potential problems keeping in mind this player is going to work his way from .50/1.00 on up.

Any and all feedback appreciated.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:59 PM

Default Re: Staking, Relocating, and Teaching Players

no, i will not make out with you...

peace

john nickle
Old 03-01-2005, 12:03 AM

This must be a long-term multi-year plan.

Someone moving that fast at lower limits probably doesn't need to be staked if he thinks he's honestly that good.

He should simply save up his own $300 and puts it online to start at .50/1.00 and he can make his 30k and keep it all [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-01-2005, 12:07 AM

wow. Interesting undertaking.

In my opinion, there's no fair or unfair. If you think all the resources that you're making available to your student are worth 22.5K, and he's happy with it, than that's a good number. Some people would take more, some less. Just go with it.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:09 AM

I think you're charging him way too much of his money. If he's really a friend, you should be willing to give him a deal where he pays you out of the rakeback he gets under you as an affiliate.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:22 AM

i teach friends for free all the time, anytime a friend of mine would ever want to learn how to play poker for a living, i would love to take time out of my schedule to teach him/her
Old 03-01-2005, 12:24 AM

Hey Mike, we're friends right? Can you teach me how to play? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-01-2005, 12:28 AM

lol only if u teach me too
Old 03-01-2005, 04:38 AM

It is my opinion that this player would benefit more in the long term by building his own bankroll and learning the game himself. I have even told him this. What I am offering this player is a risk free head start at becoming a player who can survive solely (and thrive) solely off of poker.

Yes, this is a semi-long term venture, I believe it could take anywhere from 9-18 months.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

It should be noted that this player's experience in poker is extremely limited and that his potential is extremely high. I would not be surprised if he made his way up to 5/10 SH in 3 months.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally I think this is incredibly optimisitic. But interesting. I'm not sure how hard poker is to learn. I certainly have a lot to learn yet and I'm a year and a half into it.

At the very lowest limits I think just about anybody could learn to be a winner just by playing a very disciplined weak tight game. But to be a good player? How many people can do that? And how can you tell who they are?

And how about to be a good to great player? I think you would have to be in order to jump from not really knowing the game to 5/10 really quickly? How many people can do that? And how can you recognize them?

--Zetack