Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2005, 10:40 AM

Default Re: What Do You Folks Think About My Home Game Website?

Not bad. A couple of comments:

Home page made me think of an electronic pinball game- I was looking for the bumpers. :P

The IRS and your local DA would like to thank you for providing pictures, names and cash amounts.

Did one of your early pictures in the gallery HAVE to be wearing that damn jersey? (Yes, it still hurts)

Nice site. If I can ever get caught up, I'd eventually like to do something similar with our group's info.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:09 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

[ QUOTE ]
Not bad. A couple of comments:

Home page made me think of an electronic pinball game- I was looking for the bumpers. :P

The IRS and your local DA would like to thank you for providing pictures, names and cash amounts.

Did one of your early pictures in the gallery HAVE to be wearing that damn jersey? (Yes, it still hurts)

Nice site. If I can ever get caught up, I'd eventually like to do something similar with our group's info.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately I'm using a pre-configured website builder with limited selections for a "style" of the website. The one I chose I think works best (otherwise I get images of people working in a cubicle or other crap like that)

As far as the comments about the local DA and the IRS.....geesh, paranoi man. I've been running events since 2002 without any problems ever cropping up. Plus, I never give out last names, just first names and last initials (I've got three Dan's, three Jims, etc.) I don't think the sums of money we play for are significant enough to warrant any legal actions against the players (i.e. it would cost the government more to try and hassle people than they'd stand to gain I suspect).

Now, if we were playing with thousand dollar buy-ins or cash games with thousands of dollars it might be a different story.

And yes, go BoSox and Pats, w00t!
Old 02-28-2005, 03:12 PM

I think the site looks good. I remember your older version at Verizon. That site had a few more pages of info (schedule, rules, etc) but the new one looks better.

On our league site I don't have any phone numbers or directions posted publicly. That stuff is on the members only page. The main reason for that is I didn't want my address or mobile number on the web. Also we don't want people we don't know to just show up. We take new people in all the time but not before I've had a chance to speak with them over the phone.

I think in order to have a good site you need to have as much info posted as possible, that will keep the questions at a minimum (what is the blind schedule, how many players, what are the payouts, etc). I also think developing a stat area on the page with player history is neat too.

I still want to put up some photos on our site but last week when a friend tried to snap some shots one of the players (older gentlemen, about 50 years old) got upset because he was worried that the IRS would find him and demand their cut on his (to-date) 10$ profit from tournaments :P - we left it alone and didn't take any photos.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:31 PM

Hey mrmookid... did you design your own site or that some sort of template? I have been looking for a web site for a community organization and that one looks perfect.

Any info would be appreciated.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:37 PM

I did it myself. If you want a copy of a template let me know. Hopefully your host lets you do server side includes because the left navigation and the right-side area are SSIs.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I did it myself. If you want a copy of a template let me know. Hopefully your host lets you do server side includes because the left navigation and the right-side area are SSIs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea... that would be great! Thanks!
Old 02-28-2005, 04:21 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Re: MrMooKid

[ QUOTE ]
I think the site looks good. I remember your older version at Verizon. That site had a few more pages of info (schedule, rules, etc) but the new one looks better.

On our league site I don't have any phone numbers or directions posted publicly. That stuff is on the members only page. The main reason for that is I didn't want my address or mobile number on the web. Also we don't want people we don't know to just show up. We take new people in all the time but not before I've had a chance to speak with them over the phone.

I think in order to have a good site you need to have as much info posted as possible, that will keep the questions at a minimum (what is the blind schedule, how many players, what are the payouts, etc). I also think developing a stat area on the page with player history is neat too.

I still want to put up some photos on our site but last week when a friend tried to snap some shots one of the players (older gentlemen, about 50 years old) got upset because he was worried that the IRS would find him and demand their cut on his (to-date) 10$ profit from tournaments :P - we left it alone and didn't take any photos.

[/ QUOTE ]

All of my events are on an RSVP basis, so someone just showing up wouldn't work. I don't host events like that, too hectic and crazy.

I can understand what you're saying about worrying about strangers. There's only been one who was a problem, suspected of bottom dealing. We started using a cut card after that and he stopped showing up.

Other than that, everyone has been extremely respectful of my home and rules. I've got a very strong core of regulars who love my events and would assist in the event of any trouble (i.e. plenty of big guys as back-up).

Luckily it's never come to that. Most people just come to have a good time. I've had people drive over an hour from Boston just to play in a $20 game. I think that's crazy, but they just want to play, plain and simple. They enjoy the action. Personally it's 65% about the money for me, 35% about the entertainment value. I wouldn't travel to Worcester (40 minutes) unless it was a $50 or higher buy-in. Not worth my time for a $20 game.

As far as setting up member-access. That'd be a pain in the ass. I have over 100 people on my email contact list, and I work full-time outside of my poker events. It's just much easier to have everything readily available to reduce the amount of questions generated.

The Verizon site did have more pages/info, but those jerkoffs wiped my site out when I paid them to upgrade my service.

That was a free site, the new site is obviously paid for, but limits me to 8 pages with their webpage builder (I think I could have more if I was using Frontpage to produce the pages). But, it's enough for me. I'd like to get the tourney structures back up there, but this new webpage builder isn't as convenient as the Verizon one was. With Verizon I could just produce something in Excel or Word and copy it over very easily. But this new builder doesn't translate everything correctly when I do that. Maybe I can touch base with their tech support, see if there's an easy way to accomplish it. I have extremely limited knowledge of HTML.

By the way, beautiful site, I'm jealous! [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]