Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2005, 08:00 AM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default What Do You Folks Think About My Home Game Website?

Hey there fellow home-gamers. I host games in Massachusetts and have a website with a schedule of events, photos, rules, etc. What does everyone think?

www.triplethreatpoker.com
Old 02-27-2005, 11:08 AM

Default Re: What Do You Folks Think About My Home Game Website?

Nice design, Gnu, though I don't know that it's such a great idea to have your address, phone number and license plate on a website promoting your game if it is indeed illegal to play social poker in MA. Additionally, doesn't advertising the game like this open you up to having the game robbed? I'm not flaming, nor do I want to jinx you...

But it is a nice site.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:58 AM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

[ QUOTE ]
Nice design, Gnu, though I don't know that it's such a great idea to have your address, phone number and license plate on a website promoting your game if it is indeed illegal to play social poker in MA. Additionally, doesn't advertising the game like this open you up to having the game robbed? I'm not flaming, nor do I want to jinx you...

But it is a nice site.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've held my games since 2002 without any major issue. Our prize pools aren't large enough to warrant an armed robbery, someone could rob a local convenience store with less witnesses and resistance.

As far as legality issues go. My understanding of Massachusetts law is that it's illegal to play at cards or dice in a "public conveyance" or on "private property whilst trespassing". Since neither of those apply to my home, and I do not rake or charge a house fee for hosting the events (i.e. I do not derive a profit from holding the events, I can only make money if I play and win) I think I'm pretty safe.

My event is going to be featured in a writeup in Worcester Magazine (supposed to be the cover story on March 3rd I believe)
Old 02-27-2005, 08:29 PM

I always feel a bit leery about posting info that could personally identify me on the In-tar-web. I'll have to rsvp for a seat at your game the next time I make a business trip to MA. Looks like you have a fun crowd and the table & chips look great.

Regards,
Nick
Old 02-27-2005, 10:49 PM

hey gnu,

good looking site! it looks like you have a real solid bunch of members who come out to your games. unfortunately my game is still building and we often don't have the interest to hold a game, and many of the new players are more interested in the bullshitting (which is cool) but not serious poker. i hope we can develop our game to what yours looks to be right now.

i must agree that address/phone information just shouldn't be publically available. you could have a members only access page to solve that pretty quickly, or just email the directions for the new players. realistically if your players are fairly consistent then the directions aren't really needed other than when a newbie wants to come.....why invite trouble. there was an article in the paper in my home town of Vancouver where a home tournament was robbed at gun-point. apparently they had posted the info on the net. it is even scarier because guns are pretty tightly regulated up here in
canada.

site and game looks great though,

cheers
the real macoy
Old 02-27-2005, 11:33 PM

good looking site and it looks like your home game setup is really solid. nexgens and a racetrack table.. very nice.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:11 AM

Default Re: Jersey Nick

[ QUOTE ]
I always feel a bit leery about posting info that could personally identify me on the In-tar-web. I'll have to rsvp for a seat at your game the next time I make a business trip to MA. Looks like you have a fun crowd and the table & chips look great.

Regards,
Nick

[/ QUOTE ]

New players are always welcome. I actually had a lady passing through who lived in Oregon who wanted to play, but then cancelled and then when she realized she actually would be able to play found the event full. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

The table is great, but that's only one of the two tables I use. The other is just a regular kitchen table with a green felt poker table cloth spread over it (obviously not as nice as the real deal table) [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

The poker chips actually suck, although my players seem to love them. They're the cheap 14 cent apiece dice chips, but with custom labels with denominations. I have about 1500 chips and really couldn't afford to drop the cash for the chips that are 95 cents each. Maybe if I can win enough at the NE Poker Classic at Foxwoods this spring.......maybe. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2005, 12:13 AM

Default Re: Real Macoy

[ QUOTE ]
hey gnu,

good looking site! it looks like you have a real solid bunch of members who come out to your games. unfortunately my game is still building and we often don't have the interest to hold a game, and many of the new players are more interested in the bullshitting (which is cool) but not serious poker. i hope we can develop our game to what yours looks to be right now.

i must agree that address/phone information just shouldn't be publically available. you could have a members only access page to solve that pretty quickly, or just email the directions for the new players. realistically if your players are fairly consistent then the directions aren't really needed other than when a newbie wants to come.....why invite trouble. there was an article in the paper in my home town of Vancouver where a home tournament was robbed at gun-point. apparently they had posted the info on the net. it is even scarier because guns are pretty tightly regulated up here in
canada.

site and game looks great though,

cheers
the real macoy

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear what you're saying, but I don't worry too much. My events are all tournament style with a specific buy-in. No cash games on the side, thus no reason for people to bring a bunch more money. And I've only held a $100 buy-in event once, most events are $20 or $50 and it's limited to 16 players. So they'd better make sure they're a REAL good shot, AND quick, and have a lot of bullets in their weapon if they want to rob 16 people in close quarters at my place. :P

Besides, I'm 5 feet 1 inch tall bro, who wants to mess with me? I'm liable to bite their ankles off! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2005, 12:15 AM

Default Re: Lighterjobs-Nexgens?

[ QUOTE ]
good looking site and it looks like your home game setup is really solid. nexgens and a racetrack table.. very nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, not nexgens, the cheap-o dice chips unfortunately. But I've got a set of 1500 of them in Red, Green, Black, Orange, Purple, Yellow and Pink (denominations from $5 to $10,000). They get the job done, although I'd like to get real clay chips with my Triple Threat Poker logo on them in the future ($$$$EXPENSIVE$$$$$$$)
Old 02-28-2005, 01:39 AM

Default Re: Lighterjobs-Nexgens?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, not nexgens, the cheap-o dice chips unfortunately. But I've got a set of 1500 of them in Red, Green, Black, Orange, Purple, Yellow and Pink (denominations from $5 to $10,000). They get the job done, although I'd like to get real clay chips with my Triple Threat Poker logo on them in the future ($$$$EXPENSIVE$$$$$$$)

[/ QUOTE ]

oops. my mistake. thought they were nexgens. saw the labels and jumped to conclusion.