Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2005, 01:47 AM

Default Re: 40-80 hand #1

Clarkmeister,

Initially, I think it's really player dependent what to make to the check-3bet by the SB on the flop. Would he really try to shut out the BB with a made hand like KT,K7, or a set? Obviously, he could be 3-betting for value with a big draw like 8c9c.

It looks as if you're unsure whether he's on a draw or has K's (I'm guessing he would have 3bet preflop with AcTc) from the turn/river action.

The 7s are giving you protection from a made hand (KJ, KQ) 3-betting you...as well as getting 2 bb from a draw when you're ahead (also, you can easily fold to a 3bet on the turn).

What do you do if the river is any number of cards completeing a draw (club, A, J, 6, 9) and he bets out?

___1___
Old 02-28-2005, 02:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I would rather call down since I expect him to bluff on the river if he misses a draw. This also ensures you of a chance to spike a Q on him if he has K7 or KT (or heck, AA).

[/ QUOTE ]

I would call him down on 4th and 5th, but i would probably raise the flop.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:38 AM

I like this line a lot, but I wonder how likely he is to be <jimbrier> overplaying a flush draw heads up out of position </jimbrier>? as long as it's somewhat likely turn/river combo is picture perfect, although there is something to be said for letting him bluff the river. seems very player dependent.

--turnipmonster
Old 02-28-2005, 11:49 AM

With all this talk about draws and kings, I just wanted to point out that sb could easily have a T in this spot with his line (especially given the draw heavy board).
Old 02-28-2005, 12:06 PM

If this hand is played live in Vegas (where cap is 5 bets right?) then I see a lot of merit in 4-betting the flop.

The board is draw-heavy so I wouldn't rule out a draw when he 3-bets. He could also have a hand like AT,QT,JT etc which you beat. So, you certainly seem to have to get to showdown, or get more reliable info that you're beat.

In any case, 4-betting should give you all the momentum you need against these hands and hands like top pair to let them check to you, allowing you to often save a SB. Also, 4-betting might allow you to make a good laydown. For instance, if he 5-bets you might very well be able to lay down on the turn (you don't have the Qc).

I think that there are very few players (especially with the image you have) that are stubborn enough to still bet into you with a hand you can beat on the turn after you 4 bet. And that's great, because you're most likely drawing to a two outer when you're behind, so you should be able to fold if he bets the turn as well.

This hand seems like a prime example where extreme flop aggression can define the whole hand and can safe you quite a bit.

Regards
Old 02-28-2005, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
4 handed. CO folds, I raise on the button with QdQs. SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: Kc Ts 7c. SB checks, BB bets, I raise. SB 3-bets, BB folds, I call.

Turn: 7d. SB bets, I raise, SB calls.

River: 5h. SB checks, I check.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not at all sure I like how I played this one on any of the 3 postflop streets and I'm still not comfortable with any one line being the superior one. FWIW, he sheepishly rolled over 8c9c for the open ended straight and flush draw on the flop and MHIG.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:46 PM

I think you are behind to a king here almost every single time. BB bets out into a preflop raiser, you raise...and SB comes over the top of that? Is he really going to 3 bet a flush draw against only 2 opponents? You are behind a set or a king at least 80% of the time I think.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:24 PM

cmon... this is standard. seriously though, i like the turn raise obviously. keep doing it until he starts semibluffing 3bets on the turn or calling the turn with a king or 2p and leading the river.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:31 PM

T!!!!!!!!!

It's 4-handed for christsakes. Given the texture of that flop, I think a T check 3-bets a lot.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:38 PM

I've thought quite a bit about this hand and lean towards calling the turn being superior to raising.