Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2005, 04:31 AM

Default Deep Thoughts on Maniacs by Jack Handey

With the board as it is, I think you win over 50% of the time here. Given your reads, folding at any point in this hand would be a HUGE mistake.

Tonight, I saw a guy raise the flop, cap the turn and river on a flop of QQQ with 42 in his hand. Surprisingly enough, he wasn't able to get Q7 to fold his hand at any point. I suspect his thinking (if you want to call it that) was that he wanted to knock everyone out if nobody filled up by the river. Notice that the biggest mistake would be calling him down to the river looking to fill up and folding on the river unimproved. (This is assuming that nobody else is raising, as obviously happened when Mr. Flopped Quads came to life.)

When people get real maniacal, you often have to decide early in the hand (preflop or on the flop) whether you want to continue and then see things to the bloody end. The reason being that the pot is so bloated and the probability that the maniac has garbage is so high that it's a mistake to fold. There are some maniacs who I would 3-bet with Ah 2d and call down on a Kc Qc 9c board. This is an extreme, but I mention to illustrate how radically you have to adjust your play to a maniac. (Contrast this with the fact that I will raise preflop with Ac Kd and sometimes fold to a single flop bet on a 7c 2d 2c board from a sufficiently passive player.) You *must* adjust to the range of hands that your opponent will have when he makes a given action. If someone will ram and jam the board with any draw or any pair or better, then you must accept this fact and decide how best to proceed. (BTW, this knowledge should greatly influence your overall preflop play.)
Old 02-27-2005, 06:26 AM

Default Re: AA hand - 2 maniacs - enormous pot

I don't know if you are like this yet, but keep at it long enough and it will make you smile inside everytime someone shows that crap down because you know that is where a ton of your money will come from if you are playing the cards right, which you did.
Old 02-27-2005, 06:46 AM

Default Re: AA hand - 2 maniacs - enormous pot

I rarely ever smile when I lose 12BB in a pot. Especially when I'm running as poorly as I am lately. Like you say though, oh well. If he wants to play 36o for three bets preflop, so be it. I'll take AA heads up versus his hand any day.... so long as we get to play 1000 hands. Oh ya, and the other guy that kept on raising showed KJo for second pair second kicker.